Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

replace processor

• Please log in to reply

artkaye

artkaye

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am building a desktop PC but I have challenges with the availability of processors. My mother board Mercury PVM890M support list recommends Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66G (4M, 1066, Socket 775)which I can't find. Can I replace this with Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93G (3M,1066,Socket 775) which is available.

Advertisements

Zolton33

Zolton33

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
I mean no offence and do not mean to make yours costs higher but if i were you i would consider a newer mobo socket cpu and ram. Ddr3 is a lot cheaper and gives a bigger boost. But it would require a new build. Your max memory for your board is ddr2 and only 2 gigs. If you could come up with a decent budget me and probably several others could probably recommend a better build choice. But that is up to you. As for cpus that are 775?

There are these 2 at newegg:

http://www.newegg.co...=1&name=LGA 775

tigerdirect there is 1:

http://www.tigerdire...174_12359_12359

And amazon quite a few more options:

http://www.amazon.co...:229189,k:"775"

But getting a new cpu for that mobo i would not recommend. It be throwing money away at old tech which is not a wise move if you can help it.

If you can give us a budget of what you can spend as well as what parts you can reuse from your old pc (monitor mouse keyboard optical drive hard drive etc) we may be able to get you a newer more modern build that will suit you better.

In my topic http://www.geekstogo...grading-please/ I myself am planning a newer rebuild using some of my older parts to get a better system. You can get an 1155 mobo a newer celeron cpu and ram for about $154 with the option to later jump up to an i3/i5/i7 cpu. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jFkZ

With that also comes with the cost of a os which you can get an oem windows 7 for about $100. down side to windows oem is it is tied to your mobo but with that mobo being ivy bridge compatible i do not see you needing to upgrade your mobo for quite some time. So for about $254 you would have a much newer faster system with some future upgrade options. That is just one example of how we could stretch your budget to get you a better build and deal. So please give us an idea of what is the most you could spend on this pc and we all can try to see what we can come up with.

With the 775 socket being so old and your system still using ddr2 (and with a max of 2 gigs at that) i would much rather see you pay for some thing that will bring you a better bang for your buck so to speak.

artkaye

artkaye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you, Zolton33 for your advice and I'm asking, like Oliver, for more!

I think I must throw the old mobo away. What I need now is a mobo and processor for an up to date mid-end pc which would not have to be upgraded for a long time. I intend to use the other parts of the old desktop. I have an ATX case with a 450 watt power supply.

Zolton33

Zolton33

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
So you have an atx case? How is the cooling (what case fans how many and where are they located as in front back top or sides)? The 450w psu what brand is it (some brands give better power then others and some do not perform well at all)?

I know you want to replace these parts:

1.Motherboard
2.CPU
3.Ram
4.Windows

Now what other parts do you need to replace or want to replace? And what are the names and brands of the parts you want to reuse if you know them or can find them out. Knowing these things can help a lot in helping you to pick parts

1.Case brand
2.Power supply brand name
3.Optical brand name and type (is it a cdr or dvdr?
4.Hard drive brand and size (may be able to get you a bigger better brand if need be so gfood to know as hdd do go bad over time)
5.Monitor brand name and size

And lastly what do you plan to do with it from greatest importance to least (like this as an example gaming,watching videos online,web surfing). And what is the absolute max you can afford to pay to purchase these parts? A lot of questions i know but answering them can help in deciding the best build costs. Also do you think you will be knowledgeable enough and confident enough to put it together your self?