Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow/Sluggish PC

• Please log in to reply

xkillmequickx

xkillmequickx

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
My computer has never been top of the line but has always ran fairly quickly (enough to meet my standards) but recently some of the games I play such as League of Legends(LOL) and Guild Wars 2(GW2) have had their loading times increased significantly. I used to be able to load a LOL game in about a minute and now it takes roughly 3-5 minutes. I have been considering a fresh install of Windows 7 64 bit which I am currently running. I was wondering are there certain programs that can help to speed my computer up? I use CCleaner and have a defrag schedule and I also use the basic settings with High performance selected. I have 3GB of ram(bleh) a 2.3Ghz AMD dual core processor(also bleh) and an ATI Radeon HD6700 video card.

What are some of the procedures you guys take when doing a fresh install? What applications would you recommend to back up some files or program settings? Do you format the drive? If so do you use a special boot program for it or do you use the Windows tool?

I have fresh installed many operating systems in my life and would consider myself pretty tech savvy. I'm just looking to gain any more knowledge on the matter if possible. Thanks for all the help.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts
Hello xkillmequickx

Unless there is no alternative reinstalling the OS should be the last option, let us see if tidying up the data on the HDD helps but can you first follow the steps below after which I will add some additional steps for you;

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop instructions :thumbsup:

xkillmequickx

xkillmequickx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
This is the link to the page: http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25094721

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts
Hello xkillmequickx

I note the following entry on your listed software µTorrent (3.1.3) 4/18/12
Are you aware of the hazards of downloading torrents!
If not and for the benefit of others who may read your topic at the very least you are putting yourself at risk of malware attack, as this is a real possibility I would like you to check that you have no such problems before we take any more steps to improve the computers performance (see step two below) please do the following;

1: Go to Start then to Run/Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.
To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

2: Read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Additional guidance;

1: Do not create a topic on the malware forum unless you have a malware issue that you cannot resolve yourself.
2: If you do need to start a topic there provide a link to this thread so that steps that have already been taken can be checked.
3: As the Malware Techs are extremely busy you may not receive an instant reply, if you have waited for three days then post in the Waiting Room http://www.geekstogo...e-waiting-room/ be sure to identify the issue as malware related and provide a link to your malware topic.

This is where I must leave it for now just in case you do need to seek the assistance of the malware experts.

Good luck and let me know when you are ready to move on if need be.