Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Hacked, Then Hijacked [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

traveler818

traveler818

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I cannot download OTL without her administrator password. I tried the secondary link too, but nothing at all happens. I went to the OTL site where he shows 2 other options to try: OTL.com, and one other, but both also required her password. That password is blocking me from doing anything but typing. I have been able to download driverscanner--yesterday--it was on a window you directed me to, and seemed to be step one. It downloaded, but (I think I was trying to get IMGBurn) after that, her password was required to go any further. The disc image file downloaded (presumably) to my desktop. When IMGBurn changed to IMGBurn Download, that is all that changed. It still did not let me download.

I tried anything i could think of this morning, but all I got (which I did not request) was 2 shortcuts on my desktop, one to
my name spelled with the a at the end, then an s, for ex jim's-©shortcut. I believe that is the name she gave the computer: ____as © I tried it but got nowhere. Also there is now a CD drive shortcut. I did not deliberately generate these files.

I cannot do much if I cannot download. Her password is double protected so I get an error occurred (no error code) when I try to change it.

That copyright symbol was supposed to be a C as in drive C.

Edited by traveler818, 10 November 2012 - 10:27 PM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
At this stage the only alternative is to get access to another computer to download and burn the ISO image.. Otherwise we are totally locked out

traveler818

traveler818

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I need a bit more info. The only computer I can access is at the library, if I can get there in time. From where do I download the ISO image, and where do I burn it? I will call the library now to see if they even have CD drives on their computers.

Yes, they have CD drives. But I am still in a world I don't yet know. The ISO image is the one on the disc I created?

Am I going to burn that disc? Or am I going to burn IMGBurn to a blank disc? I am lost. I thought IMGBurn had to be on the same disc. So, I need to get to the library by 3/3:30 or wait til Tuesday--not my first choice.

Before I posted, I returned to Major Geeks to try again with IMGBurn, which was no longer easy to find--the top download was reimage repair--that worked, presumably, since I do not know what it does, I was hoping to find IMGBurn, and I did. Reimage repair has an icon on my desktop, but I still need that password to download IMGBurn.

Edited by traveler818, 10 November 2012 - 03:44 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

The ISO image is the one on the disc I created?

If the ISO image was burnt correctly then could you try the following..

Insert the CD
Reboot the Computer
Do you get the following prompt :
Press any key to boot from CD

traveler818

traveler818

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I was able to download both OTL and IMGBurn when I chose save instead of run. They both have icons on my desktop, but when I try to run them, they want that password.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
With OTL lets try and be sneaky.. Download this version as it is not an exe type file

Download OTL to your Desktop

traveler818

traveler818

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
No, I just get some noise from the CD drive, and then Windows starts up. I have seen that window before, but do not recall how I got it. I could try with the green discs but they are the least likely to work--the 64-bit disc worked once, but until I get access, they are useless. When I got them back from the first repair, they had more scratches than I could put on a disk after ten uses, and they had never been used before. They are not deep, just many. I tried twice with the disc I created--didn't it work once before?--if so, that info is posted--I am almost positive it was, but after choosing language, I got just the startup options, and prompted for the password (don't recall in what order butdon't think that matters since I do not get far. I have no idea what she is doing but it's her way or the highway and she seems to feel that I don't need to know.

I really hope we can accomplish something ASAP--it is getting urgent. If you know about that partition, my guess is that you know where to go with it and I am almost certain there is one.

Edited by traveler818, 10 November 2012 - 10:54 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK lets try the new OTL

traveler818

traveler818

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I now have 2 OTL icons on the desktop, but I can neither run nor test the last one without that password. It has been downloaded 4 different times with 3 or 4 different file extensions (it worked when I used save, and it worked with your link, but only to get it to the desktop. What could she have done to make that password so impossible to get rid of? Yet only on that window do I see a reference to an administrator. Where her administrator account is located, I have no idea.

Edited by traveler818, 10 November 2012 - 08:05 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
It seems as though you are locked in as a limited user.. Which means no new programmes can be downloaded or run
Could you right click OTL and select run as administrator

Advertisements

traveler818

traveler818

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
If the new OTL is the one you just had me create, that is the one I used. I now have an OTL shortcut, and an OTL screensaver.

I did right click and eventually got run as administrator, but then the password issue stops me. I can no longer get run as administrator. I have tried to logon as admin since we started this--with the Explorer, that option is no longer there.

Edited by traveler818, 10 November 2012 - 04:45 PM.

traveler818

traveler818

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
hopefully you see when i add to a window you have read. This time, I did not wait 20 seconds so posted above.

This is the latest with the addition of the last sentence:
I did right click and eventually got run as administrator, but then the password issue stops me. I can no longer get run as administrator. I have tried to logon as admin since we started this--with the Explorer, that option is no longer there.
Nor is it an option with firefox--I had to try.

Edited by traveler818, 10 November 2012 - 04:51 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
What is the make and model of the computer ? It may have a restore partition we could use

traveler818

traveler818

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I just made my daily grovel call begging for that password. Should I keep checking in with you, or... I am concerned at the pitiful often unuseable codition this computer is in--I am concerned because I believe I have malware locked in here--in my experience, the progressive deterioration is typical.

If you have other resources and the time, I will keep checking in, but I cannot go to the library until Tuesday. Today, I tried every IMGBurn site I could find and those I already tried. But it is pointless even to get to the new installation if I am going to be blocked by that password. If I do not hear from her, and you (I am past knowing what else to try) don't come up with something, how can I best protect my computer from the malware until Tuesday if that is what i have to do? And if so, I need specific instructions--these are programs and procedures about which I know nothing. Presumably, the ISO file you refer to is the disc I created?

Am I supposed to burn IMGBurn to a blank CD (or does it need a DVD?) If not, what? And what do I do after step one? Isn't the IMGBurn file supposed to be on the same disc? How far can I get at the library?

I really hope there is an easier way. So I will keep checking in here first. I can do that at the library too--they give me a 2-hour limit so we would have to choose a time, in the afternoon if possible, between 12 and 3:30 for the library.

traveler818

traveler818

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
The computer stopped taking input, after acting up badly. I turned it off, waited and,

I think you are right about that partition. This is a Toshiba Satellite Pro L750 series, 64-bit. The computer now sometimes deletes text after I post it or, in email, save it. That is what happened on the first line and I do not recall what I said. It had to do with the password holder and why is she doing this? She will angrily remove everything (meaning what?) on Monday, if she shows up--she doesn't always, and I would feel more comfortable if you and I are moving forward--if she comes, it will be around 3/3:30 pm.

Edited by traveler818, 10 November 2012 - 11:19 PM.