Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shoudl I interrup stalled chkdsk

• Please log in to reply

tombrown

tombrown

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK - I know the deafualt answer is "no", but here is my situation

I have had some issues with my laptop (Dell Inspiron N5050, Wondows 7) and so decided to run chkdsk (with all the option boxes ticked). It kicked off yesterday afternoon at around 1pm local time. It went through phases 1-3 with no issues, but in phase 4 (file data) progressed slowly and found a number of bad clusters. At 5pm yeaterday it was at "10% complete (221253 of 225776 files processed)". Its now 6.30am (13.5 hours later) and it is still in the same state.

So should I interrupt it (power down?) now & start again?

Laptop is still under Dell Warranty .. amd I better to get them onto it at this stage?

PS - Laptop spec :

Base Inspiron N5050 : Standard BTX Base
Processor 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i5-2450M processor (2.50 GHz, 3M cache) with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.10
Video Card Graphics : Intel HD Graphics 3000
Hard Drive 640GB (5,400rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive
OS Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

Edited by tombrown, 02 November 2012 - 01:24 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's generally not suggested to just dump out of a checkdisk, but of course you know that. of course, best practice goes out the window when you don't have any other choices. the only way to get it out of a locked state would be to power it off so, that's kind of your only option if it really is hung up.

is the hard drive activity light still showing activity?

tombrown

tombrown

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The HDD light is on but not flickering.

Any advice on what to do when I break out of it ? i.e. shoudl i try & run chkdsk again or just use the PC and see if there are any more issues?

For backgound - my problem was the PC would often grind to a halt (and so need to be reset) & once or twice failed to boot at all. As a precaution i tried to run a full McAfee scan and that failed (though the quick scan always worked), so I thought it may be corruption on the disk.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sounds like it could be a disk corruption or an eminent hardware failure based on your descriptions....probably right on the disk where chckdsk has hung up.

since the system is under warranty i'd contact dell support about getting the hard drive swapped out.

of course, first i would power it off (only option to get out of chkdsk at this point) and see if you can boot it up and back up anything important off of the system (music, pictures, data files etc...) before getting the new hard drive because dell is going to want the old one back (you can pay to keep your old one...but...well that's not really necessary).