Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firewall turning its self off, shock-wave crashing & pc instabilit

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Not having much luck are we. There are so many things that can cause the errors that are showing up.

When there has been severe infection causing bad corruption sometimes the best solution is reformat and reinstall. Quite a big decision and one where you will need to backup your data before carrying out the reformat.

Meantime

Try this:

Click Start > All programs > Accessories > then click Run.
In the Open box type services.msc and then click OK

a window Services will open in a second or two

Double-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service.

Click Start if it is not already on.

If it starts then that's not the problem. If it doesn't click on the Log On tab.

Ensure that the "Local System Account" radio button is selected.

Try starting it again. If it succeeds this time, stop it and try windows update again.

If no luck then:

I wonder if uninstalling your updates and trying again would work.

Go to Microsoft Vista Remove and update for instructions on how to do that.

Some updates cannot be uninstalled but with luck you can uninstall the ones effecting your machine and re-run windows update to reinstall.

Advertisements

GeorgeJones

GeorgeJones

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Background Intelligent Transfer Service:
It did Start on its on.......

As far as the

severe infection causing bad corruption

I am curious as to what the infection was or is, if the scans have come back clean, that part I'm not to clear on....
Is their any other scans that might find any male-ware or whatever that has caused the corruption as you stated..

So as far as the other 2 theories you've mentioned,

uninstalling your updates and trying again would work.& OR reformat and reinstall

I really don't know whats the best way to fix. or.if it will..

I just don't know the answer or what to do at this point, or at least just yet,....

Thanks again... :)

To I did come across this, & would it be something I could try, I believe its 1 of the same procedure you had me try other than the /WUFORCE at end of command line...

Start button --> RUN and type in:%SystemDrive%\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /WUFORCE >Click OK.
Note: %SystemDrive% on most computers is your C: drive. windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe is the name of the file you downloaded. /WUFORCE is a switch to start/force the install

& I read it here, http://www.vistahead...il-install.html

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

I am curious as to what the infection was or is, if the scans have come back clean, that part I'm not to clear on....

My comment was more generic than specific to your computer... this is the malware forum and that is what we generally see as a cause for Windows update problems. In your case I am not seeing infection although some of the symptoms are similar but there was corruption. Also I do wonder about your hard drive after what chkdsk found and fixed.

Have you tried the Vista Heads solution? If not see if it makes a difference. I will be interested to see.

After that, if it is still not working we might try another approach.

GeorgeJones

GeorgeJones

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Well scratch that, it keeps saying its not a valid win32 application.......

I'm all ears & am more than glad to try another approach as you suggested,,...Whatever You think is best,, cause I'm in the dark on all this.....
I just try my best to follow you..
Thanks a million.. :)

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
This is more of a general approach rather than targeting Win update.

Now

Please use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to check your system and replace files where necessary.

To do this, follow these steps:
  • To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
  • If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
  • Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    sfc /scannow Please note that there is a single space between sfc and /scannow.
The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Next

Please download Security Check by screen317 from here .

• Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

GeorgeJones

GeorgeJones

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
(SFC.exe) Results..
windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them

Security Check Results.

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.54
Windows Vista x86 (UAC is enabled)
Out of date service pack!!
Internet Explorer 8 Out of date!
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
Windows Firewall Enabled!
WMI entry may not exist for antivirus; attempting automatic update.
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.65.1.1000
Java 7 Update 9
Java™ SE Runtime Environment 6
Adobe Reader 8 Adobe Reader out of Date!
Google Chrome 22.0.1229.92
Google Chrome 22.0.1229.94
Google Chrome 23.0.1271.64
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamservice.exe
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamgui.exe
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware mbamscheduler.exe
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 3 % Defragment your hard drive soon! (Do NOT defrag if SSD!)
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

THANK YOU,, :)

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Your Adobe Acrobat Reader is out of date. Older versions are vunerable to attack.

Please go to the link below to update.

http://www.adobe.com.../readstep2.html

Next

Download and run:Step 2

Click on Start > Accessories > Tools > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter and click on the defragmenter button. If you haven't done this before it may take a very long time to complete its task.

After that

windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them

Try running it in Safe Mode

Boot into Safe Mode:

1) Restart your computer
2) After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap F8 continually.
3) Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear
4) Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.

Go to Start - type in Search box -> COMMAND find at top - Right Click on - RUN AS ADMIN

Type in:

sfc /scannow

and hit Enter

System File Checker Vista

Come back and tell me how it went.

GeorgeJones

GeorgeJones

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
All went well, except for the--> sfc /scannow results on it were stopped at "39% complete" with "windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation"....

Thank you Again.. :)

System File Checker Vista ---> Posted Image TipIf SFC Cannot Finish or Repair a File:
NOTE: This is for when after you run the SFC scan below, it cannot finish or repair a file. There is no guarantee that SFC can repair the system files if they are corrupted or damaged to much. If SFC still cannot repair them after this, then you might try running Check Disk (chkdsk), System Restore, a Repair Installation, or a clean reinstall of Vista.

I will go ahead & try the check disc again tonight, hopefully it doesn't take as long as last time..
& let you know the results & go from their...

Edited by GeorgeJones, 18 November 2012 - 11:56 PM.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
It might be worth running chkdsk again see post number 2. It often takes 2 two 3 runs for it to get everything.

And, although we have covered a number of things do this too (especially don't miss the register of system files and the policies and permissions ones):

Download Windows Repair (all in one) from this site

Install the program then run

Posted Image

Go to step 3 and allow it to run SFC
Posted Image

On the start repairs tab click start
Posted Image

Select the following items and tick restart system when finished
Posted Image

GeorgeJones

GeorgeJones

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

It might be worth running chkdsk again see post number 2. It often takes 2 two 3 runs for it to get everything.

I did run it again, & it was done this morning..( may need it again??)

Tweaking.com windows repair... I ran as instructed, & upon reboot I ran the SFC again (Go to step 3 and allow it to run SFC) & it completes at 100% BUT still "unable to fix some"...

Thank you :) ....

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Well GeorgeJones assuming you are still unable to update I think it's time you went to Microsoft support and asked them for a solution:

http://support.microsoft.com/

State that it's an update problem and that you have tried their "fix" it solutions, canvassed the possibility of malware, checked whether a security program is getting in the way and checked for software corruption i.e. you have run chkdsk, system file checker etc.

Also post the Windows Update Log you posted here. They only need to see what you posted here. The last couple or so attempts to update should show them what they need to know.

Now

We have a couple of last steps to perform and then you're all set.Posted Image

• Double-click OTL.exe to run it. (Vista users, please right click on OTL.exe and select "Run as an Administrator")
  • Click on the CleanUp! button
  • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.

MBAM can be uninstalled via control panel add/remove but it may be a useful tool to keep. TFC can be deleted although you might like to keep it too.

Any other tools remaining may be deleted.

Next, we need to clean your restore points and set a new one:

Please go here for directions on how to do this. You need to turn System Protection off to delete all old restore points, reboot and then turn System Protection back on to create a new restore point.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A reminder: Remember to (re-install if uninstalled during cleaning) update and turn back on any anti-malware programs you may have turned off during the cleaning process.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some things that I think are worth having a look at if you don't already know about them:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is good security practice to change your passwords to all your online accounts on a fairly regular basis, this is especially true after an infection. Refer to this Microsoft article Strong passwords: How to create and use them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regularly check that your Java is up to date. Older versions are vunerable to malicious attack.

• Download Java for Windows

Reboot your computer.
    You also need to unininstall older versions of Java.
  • Click Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs
  • Remove all Java updates except the latest one you have just installed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be aware of what emails you open and websites you visit.

Go here for some good advice about how to prevent infection.

A fun way to check your online safety literacy.

Quiz - getsafeonline

I would be interested to know what Microsoft Support find if you have the time to report back. :)

Good luck.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.