Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing digital camera

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Hello Samm.

Don't suppose you remember me but am the PC user with the digital camera problem that led to all kinds of other problems. To make a long story short my XP processor blew related to incorrect setting of motherboard and USB ports I was told, the 98 also went down! So threw in the towel, tried another PC tech who has rebuilt my XP putting both 98 and XP on it in a partitioned drives. Have new motherboard and processor, new video card. All so far seems to be working well except for one item - the video card which is a ATI Radeon 9600 series version 6.14.10.6404 I am told by the tech needs updating. He did not do so and asked me to look for the driver as he would also. So far the Radeon site is one mass of info none of which so far has led me to a new driver. All I find are people having problems with this particular video card. Could you help?

My tech while hardware and software quite knowledgeable is a young fellow "with an attitude". He gets upset if you question him or disagree with him much in any form. I am so fed up with his arrogance and condenscension that as soon as I have tested the new PC system out thoroughly to make sure no bugs are in it yet, will be looking for another tech. Am not paying out money to be criticized or talked down to somewhat re PC situations. True I am not a tech and do not know it all for sure but am not completely illiterate re PC problems, situations etc.

This latest driver incident makes me angry that he does not see fit to follow through and do something or help. Because of it I keep going down, PC will shut off and reboot, or I get a "out of range signal". So I plan to fight his attitude until he does something one way or another. In the meantime if I can find a driver that works will do so. Soon as I can get Belarc installed to look at my system will be able to send you stats re the new PC setup.

The biggest issue this tech and I tangled about is temperature of room where my PC sits. He claims it should be 75 - 79 at least or else the processor will be damaged. Since I have severe arthritis and fibromyalgia both of which demand heated houses I am at a loss as to what to do. I have had PCs since 82 and both physical conditions also but never have had problems with my processors or have been told my house is too hot. All the tech could offer was to use the PC only at night or in the early AMs which I find certainly handicapping if not ridiculous. My son who is in the PC business with gov. and big business contracts said this was not true - if the house was 90 or up in the 100's that would be different. Usually my PC room is about 80 and I have two fans going in the room which the tech said were utterly useless. So will appreciate your input.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Did I read in these posting that the Tech had pulled the Power Supply & replaced fan?

The large cracking sound . . . I think is significant. . .

Like he may for whatever reason have your AC power messed up & not have the safety ground & case is floating. .. . connecting USB connector corrected . . . for a second!! Does cable show any marks? - Was camera touching the case of another unit perhaps? -

I would do some isolation checks on power supply . . . could be pinched wires if fan was replaced . . . or +5 USB output . . . .

I can tell by Samm's approach that a wiring error dealing with USB is the train of thought . . . .

Just do not overlook the possibility of pinched wires in the Power Supply.

And because of some of the mystery of not working at first & leaving to sit awhile & then appear to work . . .realy is a clue.. . .(I think)
And I think you should verify that case is grounded & not floating . . .
It is not safe . . . .

Another thought . . .nondaj, are you using a (3 prong to 2) AC Power Adaptor?? - (on your computer or power strip at the wall socket?)

If you are there is a posibily that your case is more than floating!!

I'll leave you be . . . .just had to pass on my thoughts

Do be careful -
Jack123

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Thanks so much for your response Jack123. But I am afraid you have lost me. This tech completely rebuilt my PC - the camera had blown the processor I was told + the original tech who built the XP had not done a credible job re the motherboard and USB ports. Thus a new motherboard and processor plus good video card has now been installed.

The only problem I seem to have now is this updating the video card driver. I have found several sites but am not good enough or else the sites are so confusing re the info that I cannot find an updated driver to download.

Again my video card is a Radeon 9600 version 6.14.10.6404. Found one driver that I thought was it but it came as a folder with several files in it - have updated drivers before and never had such an experience. Tried another driver and it came in as a windows file and can/not sure how to use if or if it even is correct.

Was hoping someone here might steer me in the right direction. My processor is now an AMD Athlon XP 1.75 gigahertz

Thanks again for your response - appreciate it.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
That is ok . . . .The post was ment to be addressed to Samm..

That is the Staff person that is taking charge of this thread. . .

I just wanted to add a possibility that the tech that worked on PC could have caused a serious safety issue . . . .and not to overlook the significance of the cracking sound & the intermittant operation -

But the (1st) question about the adapter plug was for you . . . Are you using this adapter . (2nd)- do your wall receptacles have 3 0r 2 holes?

The (3rd) question, I had for you was: was the camera touching a another metal surface when you connected the USB cable??

Just pass these answers on to Samm

Jack123

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
I apologize - I jumped in here too quickly .. . Did not look at the dates of first 28 posts . . . .This is quite a saga . . .Disregard my posts..

I was just alarmed from what I read, that I over reacted . . Sorry!

My intentions were solely from a safety issues. . . .not meaning to step on anybody's toes or cause confusion . . . .which I surely did . . .

Sorry again for being such a dunce!!! I will be more observant from now on. . . .but I just could not stay on the sidelines . . . .

And good luck to you, nondaj . . . .

Samm you certainly are a "Trusted Tech"

God Bless the Queen!

Foolish Jack123

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Jack 123:

No no, do not apologize for trying to help. I think anyone endeavoring to address problems should be thanked whatever the situation. I thought perhaps you had not followed the thread from the beginning - and believe me anyone should be thankful that someone is appreciating what might be a dangerous situation and trying to address it. This I am quite grateful for and want to try to answer your question anyway.

My outlet plugs have three holes which means the safety issue there is covered right? Second question - when the big "crack" occured as I tried to plug in the camera - really do not remember where the actual camera was setting but believe it was on top of my tower but may well have been on the wooden desk.

And re the adapter - am not clear just what that is or where it is but if clued in will look to see what I have. And again thanks for your interest and hanging in to this thread.

To Samm:

Hello again - my motherboard this tech put in is a Dragon - am almost afraid to hear what you might say about it. Is there a way I can mail you my Belarc specs or is this stressing my visit to this site. And would appreciate one more idea from you - as I said the tech and I tangled about room temp and processor damage. Went online to look at processors and room temps - was astounded to see that my processor should not be heated beyond 50-55 Celsius! Can that be? That would be 120 F. Did I misinterpret this info? Would appreciate your ideas here as I am stuck as to where my PC sits in my house because it is in a room that despite my setting house temperature to even 75 - the room stay almost 80 much of the time, even with fans going.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi again

Sorry for the delay in replying - been a bit busy lately!
Yes, please do email me your specs :
[email protected]

I would be particularly interested to see exactly what motherboard you currently have & the cpu / system temps if possible.

In the meantime, I will have a look for an updated driver for your video card.

Regards
Samm

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Samm - don't know if you remember me, the lady with the digital camera that apparently blew my processor/motherboard situation. Just reporting back that I am finally online, PC seems to be running smoothly. Have a partitioned hard drive with 98 on one partition and XP on the other; have new motherboard, processor, more fans, USB ports that work etc. Have been testing setup for two weeks and it continues to work well. The tech that rebuilt it is no doubt technically sound but drove me crazy re his personality, opinionated ways, determination to dictate what I should/should not do on MY PC!. But since PC is working well will be searching for another tech if in dire need but certainly will return here for help to do things myself before anymore investments are made. Want to again thank you for your support during all of this and after I recover from all of the stress, am now determined to get inside my PC and begin to learn about it as much as I can.:tazz: Not that do not like this site but hopefully will not have to return here with a help help call soon:)

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi ya

Glad to hear everything is running smoothly at last. If you want to learn more about computer hardware, a good place to start is this website :
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/

Hope you find it useful & good luck with your new system!

Samm

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Thanks so much for the website Samm. Hope all runs smoothly for quite awhile to give me time to learn about my system and PCs in general. Nice talking to you again:)

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You too. Let me know how you get on with it all.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Keep you posted off and on.