Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

small or large front speakers

• Please log in to reply

ChiliTech

ChiliTech

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

I have two Sony SS F6000 front speakers and an Onkyo sub-woofer with two Sony side speakers. My receiver is an Onkyo as well. All are older but work well. I recently decided to play around with the sounds again, and came back to a question I had when originally setting this up. On my receiver I have a choice of making the speakers "Large" or "Small". I notice that when set as Large the sub-woofer does not get any base passed to it unless I set the receiver to double base. Either way I listen to both settings and they don't sound all that much different. When I installed this I never had one of those mics people use for frequency tuning. I just set until my ears like what they heard. So my question is, how do people normally set this and what is recommended? Should I get a tuning mic? I wouldn't know if there were any sounds missing since I have never heard otherwise.

Thanks

Advertisements

ShoppingMonk

ShoppingMonk

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
better take larger

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
If this Onkyo Amp is what used to be termed Dolby Pro Logic or Surround Sound then you should have the option to run a "White Noise" test across all the speakers to determine where they should be placed in relation to where you normally sit.

Is the Amp what I have described?

johnb44

johnb44

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
This is old but will reply anyway. Almost all receivers will cut out the woofer when set to large speakers. Set them to small and enjoy the bass it will add a lot to the sound. I would check your volume levels and be sure you have them set correctly and that sub woofer is turned on, you have bass at times so it probably is but I would check anyway. As far as the mike goes they are designed to get close to what you want but still need some adjusting for personal preference. You should be able to fine tune your system without one, it will take some time but worth it. I have a Denon with a mike but do a lot of fine tuning. It does give a place to start however, but everyone has there own preference.