Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Live Mail

• Please log in to reply

WilliamP

WilliamP

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
My wife's computer has Win.7 64 Bit and Win.Live Mail for E Mail. We are on ATT. DSL internet. The Live Mail will work for a while,then it won't connect. It says we put in the wrong password. I don't understand because nothing has been changed. I don't know how Windows Live Mail works. The account in LM is set up with the correct E Mail address and password. Why would it not send out the correct password?

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Hi WilliamP,
That sort of thing can happen from time to time.
It would be a good move to remove the email settings and passwords from WLM and then set them up again..
With a bit of luck this should help solve the problem.
Regards
paws

WilliamP

WilliamP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I will give that a try.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
:thumbsup:
Let us know if it does the trick
Regards
paws

WilliamP

WilliamP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I have just spent 2 hours on the phone with ATT. I can go to att.com ,put in my E Mail address and my password and it works. But it won't work thru Live Mail. It as though something is blocking i

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Hi WilliamP,
Interesting....
Here are the steps I would take if this machine was brought into my workshop.

1 check all WLM settings especially POP3 and smtp, remove old email settings and replace with a fresh set
2 Disable anti virus and firewall for a short test.
3 Make sure that your anti virus is not trying to do an additional check for viruses...
4 Remove WLM (uninstall) and then reboot, then reinstall and set up email from scratch..test
5 If still problems then a System Restore back to a time before the trouble started may help(system restore should not affect your data files)
6 If still no joy then go here:
http://www.mozilla.o...GB/thunderbird/
Download and install Thunderbird.... if you are still having problems then it would be wise to post a topic in the Virus and malware removal forum...
Regards
paws

WilliamP

WilliamP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
The next morning it worked. Now, this is what I think is happening. We had gotten several delivery failure notices that we didn't send. So after talking to ATT. we changed the password to our E Mail account. I think what is happening,is who ever had gotten the old password would try to use it. And after several attempts to get to the account using the old password the server would lock the account temporarily.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Hi WilliamP
Glad you got it fixed, well done
:thumbsup:
I hope you made the new password good and strong...
with
a mixture of upper case and lower case letters, with some numbers and special characters like <?!+:~$
If you have around 12 characters like this in total with no discernable pattern, and defintely not any word that could be in any dictionary then you should be good to go....
Regards
paws