Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway MS2285 won't boot

• Please log in to reply

lkaz

lkaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I would think if it is makware you need to do a rather deep diagnostics. Re-installing your OS sounds rather drastic, especially if it is new.
Posting in the malware forum and having one of the geeks-to-go members walk you through is a good idea. The people here are a great help. I hope you get your system working.

Advertisements

ktaylor127

ktaylor127

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Have you found a solution? I'm dealing with the Exact same thing and tried everything you did short of addressing malware.

lkaz

lkaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
ktaylor - I took my laptop to someone for diagnostics and unfortunately the laptop had a bad chip that required a new motherboard.
So, I was advised to buy a new laptop. Which I did with Windows 8 and promptly returned (Windows 8 is not user friendly if you are not a touch screen user). I found a decent laptop at Sams by ASUS that uses Windows 7 as the operating system (Yeah!). It was $399 and has an excellent processor and so far suits my needs. I am a college student and EVERY class has some sort of online requirement.

Hope your problem isn't as drastic as mine - take care, lkaz

cljamr

cljamr

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Just an FYI

I have the same computer with the same problem. I took it to a couple of local computer shops they couldn't figure out the issue, both suggested I scrap it and move on.

I took their advice but removed the hard drive and put it in a USB enclosure this way I didn't have to reinstall all of my programs or reconfigure my files from backup, everything was as I left it I just added shortcuts to my desk top. Since I work from home this was quick and easy. I move files as I need them and it took less then a half hour to set up. I have a backup also but this is much easier to deal with and cost less then $50.00.

lkaz

lkaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
cljamr -

I want to do the same but have not bought the equipment yet. In fact I have two other laptops I would like to remove the hard drives from and access the data. Would you mind telling me what equipment you bought and where? I know I have to determine the kind of hard drive but I also know that adapters can be bought to accomodate the various types (considering I have three different hard drives to deal with).

Thanks so much for any info...
lkaz