Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Restarts When I Shut Down + Other Problems (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Ive ran the diagnostics tool and it went okay, everything passed. Ive installed the drivermax and found that 15 updates were available when I clicked scan for updates.. Will do it now

Here is my computer information at the moment http://www.drivermax...&iduser=3691716

I can only download 2 updates a day as a free member, done 2 already.. Will keep you posted. Is there anything else I should do for now?

Edited by Vinceroman, 06 January 2013 - 04:14 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

Nothing more that we can do hardware wise Im afraid, I honestly cant understand why the tech did not try a known good PSU as it would have saved a lot of grief, a barebones set-up and swapping in a known good PSU are the end of the line.

Were any of the suggested driver updates for the chipset or SMBus drivers.

NB: No notification of your latest reply - again, going offline now as I have an early start tomorrow.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Hi, sorry for the late reply again. Just finished off an assignment for uni to be due in tomorrow lol. I just wanted to say that I will try and install all the updates first (can only do 2 a day and theres 13 left) so after a week everything hard ware should be up to date. I don't know if that will fix this problem but at the same time I will be looking for someone that can help me do a barebones set-up that you are recommending and also swapping in a good known PSU. At the moment I really need the computer even though there is a problem with it at the moment,I will keep you posted.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
No worries - your education comes first :thumbsup:

Were any of the suggested driver updates for the chipset or SMBus drivers.

We will be here if you have any questions when you do the barebones set-up, see my canned text below;

Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, HDD, the GFX card, screen, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding another component, second suggestion try a known working PSU.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Hey, just updated everything from the Driver Max and unfortunately it still restarts after I go on shut down, sorry I haven't replied at all, been busy with university assignments but its all done now. Needed the computer even though the state it was in was bad but it managed. I will try to look for someone if they can help me for bare bones set up as I have no clue what I would need to do lol.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Thanks for the update and let us know how you get on with the barebones set up.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
I would like to try it but I dont understand when you said 'IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape' where will these be on the motherboard

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Please refer to your MB manual, if you do not have one it can be downloaded @ http://www.asus.com/...TD_PRO/#support

I have identified the two pins in the attachment below, can I also ask that you connect your mouse to the barebones set up so that you can use the correct shutdown procedure as part of the testing that you are carrying out.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
My mouse and keyboard are both wireless and just require one USB together. I have some good news tho, I inserted the other stick of RAM and it booted up fine, the problem still lies on the restart after shutdown but now atleast I am running on 4GB memory rather than 2GB

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
I still suggest a barebones test, leave the Ram in the slots when the MB is removed if you can/if you like.

Advertisements

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Some news about my computer and the current method im doing.. Before, when I click shut down, the computer would make a noise (not as loud as it normally does) for a few seconds then starts to boot up again (loud).. When the computer is booted up I just hold the shut down button manually so the computer would turn off, however when I turn the computer back on it gives me a message 'Windows did not shut down properly.'

Now, when I click shut down, when the computer makes the noise when it should shut down. I hold down the power button and this seems to work when I turn the computer on there is no message and boots up okay..

Not sure if any of these are important though but just wanted to share it

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
I would not recommend that you continue shutting down the system in this way as you may damage/corrupt your BIOS chip as what you are doing is interrupting the POST (power on self test) this is where the computers hardware is checked for problems before the OS is loaded and is the reason why you are not getting the 'Windows did not shut down properly' message, if you hose the BIOS chip you may as well toss the MB in the bin as a repair would not be cost effective.

Trying a known good PSU and a barebones set-up which will also allow the power switch on the case to be checked is still all that I can suggest.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
So, the computer was tried with a new PSU which is the '750W High Power Plus MODEL HP-750-G14C'and it seems to still restart after going on shut down.

Also, the computer was reformatted again and right now im just reinstalling the drivers as well as updating windows then after this we will try to arrange the inside of the tower to see if that would help with anything. The computer also still restarted after going on shut down even after the reformatting.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
With the PSU now almost certainly ruled out it leaves the case power button/wiring and the MB, has a barebones set up and an inspection of the power button and associated wiring been done yet.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
No, I ordered a compressed air can cleaner then me and my friend will do it