Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Droid BIONIC Encrypted Files

• Please log in to reply

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hey everybody, about a week ago I ran into a bit of a snafu with my Droid Bionic phone. While trying to free up some internal memory space I zipped about 156MB of data using I believe Legacy Zip 2.0 (but it might have been the AES 128/256 Encryption). Now I can see the folder, it's clearly got the files inside it but it won't let me unzip it. It claims the folder's been corrupted or I'm not using the right unzip program to decrypt it. Wouldn't be a huge issue but 3 years of pictures are on there and weren't backed up at this time. So I'm doing everything I can to break back into the folder. Is there any downloads or assistance you guys could provide? I know you've gone above and beyond before so if there's any way of recovering the files, you guys would know. I tried so many different unlock apps it was surprising.. but none of them worked.

Please let me know, thank you all a lot (and happy early holidays)!

Advertisements

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Is the Bionic rooted? Where is the file located? MicroSD, Internal Storage, in the system, etc. If you can move it, did you consider copying it to a desktop or laptop and unzipping it from there? You could probably use WinRAR, WinZip, or 7 Zip to unzip it, or another zip program if you can find out the file type, since it sounds like none of the mobile apps work at it, or maybe there isn't enough space left to complete the unzip?

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I don't believe it's rooted, no. The file is stored on both my phone and my hard drive - I tried both apps on the phone and running it through WinRAR, WinZip and 7-Zip. The answer I get is that the file was corrupted - but there's no reason 'for' it to be corrupted so my theory is that I just need to find the right unzip program.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
what is the extension of the file? if we can find that, we can probably find the right program to unzip it. Just because there is no reason for it to be corrupted, doesn't mean it didn't get corrupted by whatever program on whatever hardware did the compressing.

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
It says android_secure.zip - it was compressed with the phone's compression/zip software itself

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
What program uses the phones built in compression software? The other issue that is concerning, is there is a standard android file that is a part of the OS named .android_secure . It might just look like a zip even though it isn't.

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I'm not sure which program it is, I just went in, highlighted some folders under the files menu and pushed the option for zip/compress. It came up with that name for itself and zipped the files.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I think secure zip is by PKware.

you might try this.

http://www.pkware.com/software/pkzip/

I just hope you don't have to buy it to be able to use it.

SRX660

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
What application did you use to go in and look at the files on the phone?

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I just teathered the phone to my laptop and searched through the files

Advertisements

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
so you used your laptop to zip the files?

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
No, no, I zipped them using the phone. There's an app on the phone that just says "Files" that's where I zipped the folder. However in my attempts to unzip it, I tried teathering the phone and looking at the files that way.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
if you used File to Zip them, find that same file again from within the File app and click the zipper again. it should unzip them, as long as there is enough space for that to happen.

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
That's where I get the error, it says "There was an error extracting your file"

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
If that's the case, I suspect there was also an error or glitch when it zipped the file, even though it produced what seemed as a correct file. Without finding an UnZip program that has some kind of error correction, you might be stuck with a file you cannot access. No idea how you fix that one.