Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replaced RAM and still getting TERMINATION ERRORS

• Please log in to reply

Razaille

Razaille

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I replaced my old RAM already, and I still get those "memory at 9s9dsw9dhdf cannot be read/write" and most of my games crash saying those statements. My computer reboots from time to time also and when it comes back and lets me log in to windows it says a prompt saying SYSTEM RECOVERED FROM A SERIOUS ERROR, SEND REPORT- DONT SEND, that kinda prompt. I ran memory test on this and INVC and WINVC are failed all the time, even with my old RAM, whats wrong with this.....I need some enlightenment, I tried reinstalling windows and freshly wiping out my system, and it still ends up like this, I use CORSAIR 2x512 single module PC2700 DDR

Advertisements

Destructo Roboto

Destructo Roboto

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Dont blame me... well... you can rant at me, but im not telling you that my theorys are safe or sane or even carry the slightest wisdom... plz, dont blame me caus you have a choice and others may give you better help later on.

But basicly if you go into your bios you can try adjusting ram settings...

If you have auto settings on your bios you may try first the safe or minimal settings, then if that works slowly adjust perhaps even try the optimal auto setting next...
If you want to go beyond that heres a few highly dangerous suggestions...
this is dangerous.. but if you try adjusting the cas latencyfrom 2.5 to 2.0 it may actually make it more reliable, its rare but sometimes it improves performance, more likely though you will want it between 2.5 or 3.0

The other settings for ram are ;
"ras# to cas#" which might run at 2 which is fairly low...
"ras# precharge" 2 which is again fairly low
"cycle time" at 7 or if you wana risk it try 11

This is somewhat chancy and this may not even be the problem... you may be risking your computer stability on something you dont even have any need to adjust. You may burn it out, i have no idea how but computers are glitchy if you just leave em on much less poke at thier settings...

It may be helpful to wait for people who are qualified and sensible but you mihgt try my advice ifyou are willing to risk your computers life. :tazz:

Heres to links the first to where i got my little bits of corsair knowledge followd by a link to the basics including the dager of resetting your bios;
http://www.pcguide.c...hp/t-28940.html
http://www.geekstogo..._me-t30826.html

Razaille

Razaille

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
wow.....all these stuff are new to me, i dont know about giving it a shot, and iono if that would solve the INVC and WINVC failures during memory checks, i dont even know why i still get failures on those tests even if i bought brand new memory. I get occasional crashes on programs/games saying "memory at (insert geeky hexa code here) cannot be read/write". I need enlightenment!! SOMEONE HELP!!! Its not the hard disk also because I did extended memory test on the HD and its fine. What's the benefit of the thing u just explained to me anyways?

UPDATE:

HOLY SH*T ive just read your past post and youre the one who breaks or messes up the BIOS settings then why are you telling me to do that!!! no help at all..... :tazz:

Edited by Razaille, 07 June 2005 - 01:19 AM.

Destructo Roboto

Destructo Roboto

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Dude, thats why i gave you all those warnings, but so far, as far as myself, I have not ruined any of mystuff(terminally), heck, im probly among the more lucky people here, the only hardware problem ive had where it completely broke out on me was due to an electrical brownout(generally due to wind on power lines, voltage drops significantly in power flow then spikes back up and balances out) which blew out my Motherboard. Beyond that ive fiddled with my stuff but never so severe it wasnt recoverable. Actually that post was the first where i actually got outside help for fixing one of my pc problems. Everything else ive just blindly run through always makin it with the hardware intact.

As for the bios memory advice, even if its not the caus of the problem its generally rather nice for performance to get it as good as you can and the settings i gave you are copied from a conversation which is the top of the two links I had given you, just read it your self, its fairly simple if you write down the settings and then adjust the bios afterwards. Somewhat dangerous and generally unsupported by warrantys but thats said about everything(which everything is somewhat dangerous). Hey, i mean seirous, its a dangerous life we live, our homes are built on giant floating islands on the oceans which in turn sit upon rocky plates which hold us above from the giant, smelted core of the Earth... then theirs the Sun, which is a magnificent, highly compressed burning flame of nuclear energy(self sustained hydrogen bomb) for which we depend on for our lively hood. How does adjusting your bios compare to the danger of our lives? Besides the obvious expence of replacing it or of the hassle or cost to your budget if something happens to it? Which is rather likely? Doing that may potentially allow your system to be more sustainable... Of course its your choice.

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
please give the exact model of the ram i will give exact timings also cpu model...amd or pentium... motherboard make if known

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
also you have 2 sticks of ram is it twinX/XMS did you buy the sticks in a pack together

Razaille

Razaille

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Yay someone is gonna help me!

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 2.08 Ghz
2x512mb CORSAIR ValueSelect PC2700(333mhz) 64x64 CAS 184 pin DDR-DIMM

Ok I attached a CPU-Z file which tells mostly everything about my PC i think that helps alot more.

Attached Files

• Attached File  cpuz.txt   25.49KB   232 downloads

Razaille

Razaille

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I bought em in single packs by the way. I just bought two of em and put em both on my system to make 1 gig. Iono if its XMS or stuff but all i know is its the VALUESELECT one.

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
value select is not xms...and timings for this ram are as follows...

in 166 mode:

CAS# = 2.5
RAS# TO CAS# Delay = 3
RAS# precharge = 3
TRAS# = 7

try this please and let me know how you go....

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
I would suggest setting the timings for your RAM in the BIOS to "by spd" which means the motherboard detects what the ram can do, and sets the speeds accordingly. at least do this for some testing purposes.

did you say this problem was happening with your old ram too?

you should run some tests in your RAM, using memtest 86. best to do this 1 stick at a time, let it run for several hours on a stick. if a stick shows lots of errors, try moving it to a different ram slot.

you didnt have any info on the make/model of your mobo (motherboard) in the report. if you can post that, it would be good. how many ram slots do you have?

if the errors keep showing up, even with different RAM, then its possible you have a bad ram slot, or the board itself is damaged. the tests above should help determine if its the ram or the board.

and destructo, please, this is not the place for existential ramblings. :tazz:

Advertisements

Razaille

Razaille

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok I did the memtest with that program, I ran it for an hour on each slot by the way I only got 2 ram slots. I did it for both sticks and it showed 0 errors. First thing I thought of is wow how come on this program it shows no errors but the ones I used from Microsoft showed I got errors on WINVC and INVC parts of the test.

About my mobo, we bought the computer as a whole so iono how to find out what model is the mobo but as far as I know it has a VIA KM400_M, yea something like that....

About the timings, on my BIOS settings it doesnt state RAS# CAS# and stuff so I dont know where to plug in those numbers you have said instead it shows something like this,

DRAM CAS Latency: 2.5
Bank Interleave: DISABLED
Precharge to Active (Trp): 5T
Active to Precharge (Tras): 7T
Active to CHD (Trcd) 5T
Burst Length: 4
DRAM Command Rate: 2T

Edited by Razaille, 08 June 2005 - 02:45 PM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
those numbers for the ram timings are really weird. at the top of the ram section in bios, can you set anything to "by spd?"

if this is a manufactured system, list the make/model number. otherwise, use Everest home to get the motherboard make/model, etc.

also, run the memtest for 3 hours or more on each stick.
do you have another pc around you could try the ram in?

Razaille

Razaille

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Heres my motherboard info, help me out with the memory settings to see if that helps a bit.

Windows explorer weirdly closes too and restarts back, with those annoying "Windows Explorer has experienced an error and needs to close" messages that are really annoying.

I will start running memory tests and get back atcha folks. Still need some help here...

Attached Files

Edited by Razaille, 08 June 2005 - 11:02 PM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
is this your motherboard? does yours have sata drive support?

assuming it is, if you dont have the manual for it, download it from that site. Ive had a look at the BIOS settings, now can tell you exactly where to set your ram.

assuming those numbers you posted before are whats being used, this could be the cause of the problems!

go to advanced chipset features, select the first option Dram timing/control. under dram clock, choose "by spd." under dram timing, "choose auto by spd."
the rest of the fields should grey out, but the numbers should change to reflect the timings stuart posted earlier (thanx for that!).

this will set the timings to what your ram reports it can do. it should be good for use, but we can tweak the settings to maximize ram performance if you want. I would say get it working happily first, then tweak later, once things have proven stable.

for grins, once you set the timings to by spd, list back what the timings are set to.
they should show up as
cas latency 2.5
bank interleave disabled
precharge 3t
tras 7t
active to CMD 3t

dram burst should stay at 4
dram command rate should stay at 2t

Edited by audioboy, 09 June 2005 - 12:49 AM.

Razaille

Razaille

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
The sad part about all that said is that it is at "by spd" and at "auto by spd" but see its still at the posted speed of mines that i mentioned its not like the one you said it should be at if i put it at "by spd" and "auto by spd". So what should I do? put it at WHAT its supposed to be at? coz by default its like that....and contradicts what you said....

One theory I have is that....the problem is when they work in a pair....I did a quick 1 hour test with them together...and it shows 24 errors on Test 5 Pass 1 but no error when I told you I tested them in one sticks switching from one slot to the other after an hour.

But hey lets test your theory about timings first but right now im lost since its already in "by spd" "auto by spd" settings and it doesnt match what you said.