Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replaced RAM and still getting TERMINATION ERRORS

• Please log in to reply

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
did you download the manual?
go to the jumpers and headers section, specifically looking at J8/J9. check what pins are capped there.
according to the book, for your fsb to run at 166 (what your cpu and ram can support), they should both be jumpered over pins 2-3.

this will be in the book, section 2.5.5. power down before you look at that, and dont change it, just tell me what pins are jumpered- or look in the book, and tell me what the jumper setting translates too.

Advertisements

Destructo Roboto

Destructo Roboto

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
:tazz:

My appolagies about the rambling... I enjoy talking to much, even if it is only typing

Razaille

Razaille

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Yo bro I downloaded the manual, looked at the jumpers its at 2-3 2-3 which should read 166 as CPU frequency am I right? both the jumpers are all the way to the right assuming 1 starts from the left and 3 to the right.

And yes thats my motherboard you really nailed it. Im just wondering now that why is it making errors when its both in it, while if its only one of the ram sticks in its working fine....

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Im just wondering now that why is it making errors when its both in it, while if its only one of the ram sticks in its working fine....

View Post

yeah, me too...this has become an odd problem.
try going back into BIOS, and manually setting the timings to what I mentioned earlier. (thanx again stuart!)

if that doenst clear things up, Im running out of ideas. let me know how that goes, and I will ask around if needed.

yeah, the jumper settings are correct at J8/J9.

Razaille

Razaille

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
uhm, you think re-installing windows and starting over again with one stick only would resolve those errors.....then just put the second stick again when I reinstalled it and sucessfully updated windows and stuff?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
it runs OK now on one stick right? dont really see a need to reinstall windows, what a pain if its not corrupted.

Ill have to ask some others for ideas on your ram issue here. Ill get back to you when I have some new ideas.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
OK razaille, I asked around, and here is what was suggested:

"I would recommend he first update his BIOS to the most recent version. If that doesn't work, chances are he has a defective motherboard."
Thanx for the help!

so if you go to the link for your motherboard from earlier in this thread, and go to the BIOS update link in the upper right. you can grab the latest BIOS, then install it. (the latest bios is dated 4/4/05)
there will be instructions posted with the BIOS updates of the flash procedure, and there should be something in the manual as well.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Ok Guy's

Razaille mentioned the ram failing test 5, this sometimes happens with Athlon systems and the ram is good as is the rest of the system. Opinions vary greatly as to why but as it don't happen all the time in fact rare occasions is more like it I suspect the ram is good but just not perfect or missed labled as to what it can truely run at.

So up the vdimm by .2
then set the case latecy to 3

retest with memtest to see if it will pass test 5
If not up the rest of the timmings by .5 this should do it
Make sure the fsb is set to 166 so there is no overclock
Don't forget to save when you exit
Anytime you change things in bios make sure you know how to clear the cmos in case a mistake is made and the computer won't boot.

I did not have a look at your bios or manual I think audioboy did so I will let him guide you on how to set these if you need help doing so.

Rick

Razaille

Razaille

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Aight im losing hope, I did install the new BIOS, followed it correctly, weird thing is when i did install the new one, some of my computer components are not installed and the hardware wizard detected some parts not installed, is this normal? well i set all the BIOS settings back to where it was and UPPED the CAS Latency to 3 like you said ran the test, still getting errors, Services.exe is the one always getting terminated, and whenever I login it keeps reporting the system recovered from a serious error.

Now with all that said I wanna do the necessary, if theres a part needs to be replaced I dont think its the ram, I just bought 2 new sticks like i said and its CORSAIR not generic, so its expected to perform at its best.

Someone enlighten me if its really motherboard to be replaced, take note this computer is bought as a whole so if I replace my motherboard, will I be able to transfer all to it with ease? Help me out with a little info, on what's best out there and what's best suited for me. Im assuming my service disk that came with this computer wont work anymore with the replaced motherboard right? I gotta get a new Windows cd then?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
It could be the board but did you up the vdimm try that before you give up on the board and at this point don't worry about memtest

Up the vdimm .5 and keep the case at 3, see if the computer is stable by running games and your regular appts.

Rick

Advertisements

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Think thats a typo - CAS - Column Address Strobe - relative to memory cycle timing.

Would suggest you consider disabling System BIOS cacheable, Video BIOS cacheable and Video BIOS shadow unless you're into DOS based gaming or applications.

:tazz:

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Ahha I think i found a possible problem that has been overlooked!!!! I was looking and trying to figure our other things because lets face it you have changed your ram and you are still getting the same problem, so this tells me the ram is way hot OR and I think this is definitely the problem. Malware (aka a virus) is in your system, and this is one of the sons of a [bleep]es that is outside the dos/windows file system most likely. try downloading EWIDO and AVG to virus scan your [bleep]. I think you can get both on www.download.com for trials. You will want to boot and also do some other searching but I assure you there have been many and I mean many problems with viruses that have made this exact problem happend and it sounds like you got it. get back to me if it works.

Razaille

Razaille

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Yo guys thanks thanks thanks again, uhm where do i start, to

Doby: Yes Doby I upped the settings, but i dont know what youre talking about vdimm???? by .2? Last time i checked theres nothing there that i can set that is in increments of .2 and stuff. My settings right now is:

DRAM CAS Latency: 3
Bank Interleave: DISABLED
Precharge to Active (Trp): 3T
Active to Precharge (Tras): 7T
Active to CHD (Trcd) 3T
Burst Length: 4
DRAM Command Rate: 2T

This is the combined suggestions of you and audioboy. You mentioned upping the Cas Lat so I did that but the vdimm youre talking about I dont know what you mean. I still get the "memory at 293dsdjsyuewh whatever cant be read/write" when I play Guild Wars. By the way I updated the BIOS also and I made sure i set it back to what it is now. Yea I wont worry about the memtest coz I believe its all BS right now. ;)

Scrushmaster: About your suggestion I really got a feeling that this is one of the issues also, since I get those Shutdown countdown thats sooo annoying. But dont these viruses get deleted as we freshly installed windows? Trust me I re-installed this sh*t alot of times as we figure out whats wrong with this. But yea I'll try your suggestion too! :tazz:

Rockster2u: I believe its all disabled.

Razaille

Razaille

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Rams are way hot? hmmm another thing to worry about.......does it relate to the computer restarting by itself? hmmm......and it reports "system recovered from a serious error" hmmm....just a thought guys....

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
actually a reinstall does not get around virus's that are outside the windows filing system i would do some extensive virus checking because i have come to believe that it is possible we were all barking up the wrong tree to begin with. Also im not sure about the hot ram idea but why would corsair make the platinum heat spreaders and all that junk if there were not some problem with hot ram. lol go with the virus idea i believe that is the crux of the problem. You will probably need to get your virus software to do a boot scan though if its outside windows.

Edited by scrushmaster, 14 June 2005 - 01:03 AM.