Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Starter Does not install

• Please log in to reply

apple6

apple6

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Windows 7 Starter no longer installs on my advent Milano netbook. I was reinstalling windows 7 starter when I had a power cut and my computer shut down during installation. When I restart a message now comes up saying to restart the installation due to an error as the installation tries to run.

I have tried pressing f8 on starting up to try to reinstall, but the option to reinstall is now missing that has always been there previously. I cannot run any mode like safe mode. The computer came with windows 7 preinstalled and I have no cd and I could reinstall windows 7 without cd.

I thought I may now need a windows 7 recovery disc, but I am unsure which specific disc to purchase? Any help please.

Edited by apple6, 29 December 2012 - 02:55 AM.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
How old is this Netbook Apple and is it still under guarantee?

It goes without saying that you bought it from Currys/PC World and they have disgusting support.

With your machine being a Netbook it won't have an optical drive so you would have had to make a "back to factory" recovery onto a suitable USB and it's hardly surprising that no one told you to do this.

Read a bit more here...

Create your Advent Windows Recovery DVD/USB

apple6

apple6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I can't create a backup disk because Windows 7 starter will not load at all. Is there a recovery disk that I can buy that will restore the windows 7 starter to factory settings?
The netbook guarantee has run out. I am using another computer to post on this forum. Thanks

Edited by apple6, 28 December 2012 - 08:24 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
According to a response here: How do i reset advent milano to factory settings?

Restart your computer. Then Press F10 repeatedly until the message "Starting System Recovery" is displayed. Just follow the instructions on the screen to restore your computer

apple6

apple6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
When I pressed f10 repeatedly the edit boot options came up, it states:

Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Partitions: 2
Hard Disk: 8f1e21c1

[ /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN

Gives me the option to press enter to submit or press esc to cancel

What should I do?

I think buying a dell or hp win7 recovery system disk may allow me to access recovery options, but I am unsure if they will work on my advent milano netbook?

Edited by apple6, 29 December 2012 - 02:35 AM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Let me reiterate Apple.

With your machine being a Netbook it won't have an optical drive so you would have had to make a "back to factory" recovery onto a suitable USB and it's hardly surprising that no one told you to do this.

Can you manage to get into the bios to see the boot options at all, if so then please list all of them in your next post.

apple6

apple6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
In BIOS boot menu it says:

Boot priority order:
1: USB KEY:
2: USB FDC:
3: USB HDD:
4: USB CDROM:
5: IDE HDD: FUJITSU MJA2250BH G2- (S1)
6: PCI BEV: Realtek Boot Agent
7:
8:
Excluded from boot order:
: PCI SCSI:
: Other USB:
: PCI:
: IDE CD:

I never made a USB/ DVD of my own for recovery. If I could get some sort of repair cd for win 7 starter (if it exists from a reliable source) then I can run a cd using my a usb cd drive that I have that I have used to run cd software on the netbook in the past.

Edited by apple6, 29 December 2012 - 12:29 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You can download a legal copy of Windows 7, see here: 2.1 Microsoft Windows 7 Official .iso Download Links (Digital River).

Windows Starter is not one of the downloads available but you can install Starter from any of the other downloads, see here for information: Install Win 7 Starter.

Tells you how to access Starter and how to create a installable USB flash drive. Come back with any questions after reading the above.

Note: Make sure you get the right one, 32 or 64 bit to match what you currently have.

apple6

apple6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you for the information. Can you explain why I can no longer run windows 7 starter just from my computer. Has the partition been deleted to restore/recover to factory settings. In the advanced options tool after pressing f8 the reinstall windows option is missing and I had this before.

I can try the dell windows 7 starter method download, is probably a good start:

http://en.community....-7-starter.aspx

I'm wondering if I put the windows 7 starter download from this website onto a usb stick will I be able to run it on the netbook because I cannot run windows 7 at all or get onto the desktop.

Edited by apple6, 30 December 2012 - 12:26 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The Starter method is the same as what I gave you a link for. You download Ultimate then remove the ei.cfg file. Create a install USB flash drive and then install from it. During the install, you will be given a choice of what version of Windows 7 to install, including Starter, which is what you must chose as that's the key you have on the COA sticker on the laptop.

You can't install and run it from a flash drive.

Also, what happens if you do press Enter at the F10 menu where you see:

Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

apple6

apple6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I tried all these steps on the dell website:

http://en.community....-7-starter.aspx

I am now able to run Windows 7 from a bootable usb. When I run the usb on the netbook I get into Windows 7 install. I click install windows and then I get a message:

"Windows could not collect information for [OSImage] since the specified image file [install.wim] does not exist."

Not sure why the install does not work?

I used .isos Windows 7 Ultimate (x86) - X17-59463
and converted it to Windows 7 Starter as show on the web page. My net netbook windows is 32 bit.

I can also get the system recovery options up but not sure how to proceed because the start up repair option doesn't find anything to repair.

If this usb way doesn't work I am considering to get a dell reinstallation of windows 7 that I am not sure will work on my advent milano netbook?

Edited by apple6, 31 December 2012 - 09:11 AM.