Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron 6400 looks completely "dead"

• Please log in to reply

iwil

iwil

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

My Dell Inspiron 6400 looks completely "dead". Does not turn on with AC or just on battery. No lights at all. Tried with holding down Fn key - useless. What should be my next step? I really appreciate any advice.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,799 posts
:welcome: iwil

Does the AC adapter have an LED on it which illuminates when the mains power is on and if so does it light up when connected to the wall power socket.
Was there any problems with the notebook leading up to this or did it become this way without any warning.

iwil

iwil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Phil,

Thanks very much for your reply. I did not expect it right on the New Year day. Back to your questions. The LED on the adapter is dead. With regards to the second question, this laptop had problems for a number of months. It was turning off all of a sudden. We only used it for MS OFFICE software and sometimes Internet.

Regards,
Igor

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,799 posts
Hello Igor

Thanks for the additional information :thumbsup:

The fact that the LED is dead suggests that the AC adapter is not working which may have lead to your battery becoming fully discharged without you realizing it, is this possible or do you know that the battery is fully charged.

The earlier problems that you were having with sudden shutdowns may have been caused by overheating, we can look into this if and when we get the notebook up and running.