Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New laptop is painfully slow

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
I suggested removing Threat Fire as you also have Microsoft Security Essentials installed, having two AV programs installed does not make your computer more secure, it can actually leave you vulnerable to malware attack because the two programs will conflict with each other as they fight for system resources, this can lead to slow response times and an unstable computer.

Advertisements

norsaint

norsaint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok Phil, you win, I will remove it!
I presume Windows Essential has become more efficient over the last couple of years as I notice the guru who was recommending the installation of both 2.5 years ago, is now in your court and recommends WE soley. Ask Leo was the said guru.
Now why hasn't that italicized? More work to be done obviously.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
:thumbsup:

norsaint

norsaint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
So do you thnk Windows Essential enough security? Anything else worth having that won't conflict?

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
On Windows 7 both MSE and Avast have excellent reports, I run Avast on my main box and the previously mentioned laptop but I would be quite happy to install MSE were Avast not in existence.

The Win 7 Firewall is also more than adequate so no worries on that score Norsaint. :thumbsup:

As an aside any Anti Virus Suite worth its salt that contains a Firewall should turn the windows inbuilt one off as a matter of course. Neither Avast (free) and MSE contain a separate firewall.

I also run Malwarebytes and Key Scrambler

Edited by Wolfeymole, 09 January 2013 - 02:18 AM.

norsaint

norsaint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
And you thought you'd seen the end of me.
Despite improvements, there is still many delays opening pages. Google seems to be the worst; have reinstalled for marginal improvement but Firefox ain't great either. Was wondering if the previous Pitstop test gave any indications as to why? Twitter in particular is very hard work.
Thanks

norsaint

norsaint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Also just one more thing.

I inexplicably found myself with a registered MS Works on my former laptop and presume it's backed up with everything else on the external hard drive.
Is it a simple matter of getting it from there to the new unit?
Pardon my techno ignorance.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Apart from what was mentioned previously I see nothing else of note in the Pitstop report.

Have a tidy up of the data on your HDD and see if it helps, please follow the directions provided below starting with Autoruns http://technet.micro...ernals/bb963902

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
6: Attach to your next reply.

2nd: Download and run TFC from http://www.geekstogo...ds&showfile=187 your computer should automatically re-boot on completion but if not do it manually.

3rd: Defrag your HDD http://www.auslogics...re/disk-defrag/ a tidy drive is a faster drive, please note that I am not suggesting that you use any other product or service at the link.

To speed up your boot times find any unnecessary programs linked to start up "how to" below;

START -> RUN
type MSCONFIG in the RUN box
then click OK

Click on the start-up TAB

Look at each line that has a check in the box, these are start-up items, with the exception of Windows programs and your anti virus software uncheck the ones you do not want to run at start-up.

Try Macrium (a free) back up software for MS Works http://www.snapfiles...m/fwbackup.html

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Hi
Hope you do not mind me coming in on the topic

There are two issues I would address

I do not suggest they will solve the problem, but I still consider them worthy of attention

It came with pre-installed Mcaffee, which after much drama, I managed to uninstall

Did you run the McAfee uninstaller, after the normal uninstall.

Certainly your opening post tends to suggest that this may be a good idea - as you say

Now however whenever I put the free Malawares version on, the thing stops working and I can only reboot in safemode.

This is the link to the uninstaller
http://service.mcafe...spx?id=TS101331

2. I would also seriously consider uninstalling
Search-Results Toolbar
(1.0.0.12)APN LLC

The Search-Results Toolbar by APN is an advertising supported toolbar for Intenet Explorer and Firefox (a web browser extension) that is typically installed via a software bundler. The toolbar collects and stores information about your web browsing habits and sends this information to Search-results.com so they can suggest services or provide advertising via the toolbar. Search-Results Toolbar will attempt to change your home page and search provider to Search-results.com if you are not careful during installation and provides a search box and various other generic features in the toolbar.

That I see was installed on 3 Jan - and will I think have changed your home page to that, or may well have done.
Most of these toolbars and add-ons, if not installed on purpose are as explained above normally acquired when you fail to notice the opt-out of the free addition.
This is most important when installing software and Adobe for instance now offers a toolbar even when only updating and it is easily missed.

As I said, I am not sure these points are any solution to your problems but, they are IMHO worthy of attention

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 January 2013 - 12:00 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Apart from what was mentioned previously I see nothing else of note in the Pitstop report.

Post 10 has the link to the log Phill ;)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Thanks Malcolm and Ron respectively :thumbsup:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome Phil :thumbsup:

norsaint

norsaint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for that Phil, will do as you say. Local provider inexplicably cut me off so couldn't respond more promptly. (I paid the bill, honestly)

norsaint

norsaint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for t.at Macboatmaster. All suggestions gratefully accepted and will be pursued

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Thanks for the update norsaint :thumbsup:

Reply when you are able to as we understand that there may sometimes be an unforeseen delay.