Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank Screen after new RAM upgrade

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Having read through the thread again, looked at the Crucial recommendation and your last reply I have my suspicions about the Ram that you have purchased, it is possible that it is not even the correct Ram for your machine and if it is in the wrong packaging it may even have been previously returned as being defective.

Can you post the SKU for us so we can see if we get the same search result.

Advertisements

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
well isn't all ddr3 ram the same? as long as your motherboard can handle the size? like crucial says I can only have 2gb sticks for a total of 8gb? but the problem is the exact same as when I tried to put 4gb sticks in when it has a limit of 2gb per slot.

the SKU is : DR313332GB quantity: 3 Description: 2gb 1333MHz DDR3 NON-ECC.

that's what it says on the paper I got in the box the RAM came in

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
No all DDR3 Ram is not the same, the memory capacity is as 2GB is 2GB but two important differences are the voltage that the Ram requires and the speed that the Ram functions at must be compatible with both the CPU and MB/BIOS chip etc.

The SKU that you provided is actually a model number and it did take me to the 8GB stick of Ram so something is not right http://www.bestbuy.c...t=: DR313332GB

I would contact the seller and explain the problem with the packaging and the Ram and insist that you be allowed to return it, when you upgrade in the future avoid Avant Ram and stick with known good brands such as Corsair, Crucial and G-Skill.

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I hope I can, I got rid of the actual plastic cases the RAM came in, but I have the box still. wish bestbuy would just take it back for me. wish they sold 2gb sticks on their shelf. the only 2gb sticks they sell are ddr1 or 2 the ddr3 ones are all 4gb which my motherboard cannot handle. thanks for your help, though it still came to the same unusable end I will see if I can get some from that crucial site I linked that showed what is compatible.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

I have tried numerous combinations of the RAM sticks in the slots, but only the original 2 work.

Please confirm whether or not both of the old sticks of Ram worked in slots 1-2-3 and 4 before you purchase any new Ram.

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
ok, so put them in all 4 slots and make sure it runs? ok. but would that crucial scanner tell me if the ram slots were broken?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
The Crucial tool does not provide diagnostic results only what Ram configurations are possible, if a slot created a short circuit when a memory stick was inserted for example would not be detected by the Crucial tool, testing the Ram as I suggested should identify if all four slots are ok or not.

NB: Please note that some MBs require a Ram stick in slot one before they will complete POST so you may need to adjust the testing accordingly, example = 1 and 2, 1 and 3, 1 and 4 and then swap the Ram sticks around and repeat the procedure.