Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My internet keeps disconnecting every 10mins. Help.

• Please log in to reply

Finnda

Finnda

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello. For the past week or so i have had this problem with my wireless internet. It constantly will drop out when i am using the internet such as browsing the internet or playing online games. It can range from slow internet connection from the network completely disappearing from my network list for a couple of minutes. One of my friends have told me that if i created a account here i might be able to get some help with the problem. I hope i am posting in the right place.

I have a custom desktop computer with a wireless adapter.

Some details about my computer...
> Router/Modem = Netgear n600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL 2+ Modem Router.. Model Number : DGNG3700
> OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
> Anti-virus : Norton 360.
> 8192mb RAM

Please ask me if you need anymore information about my computer.

I have tried multiple fixes already including...
> Unplugging my router multiple times.
> Disconnecting and reconnecting to the network.
> Troubleshooting and Diagnosing the networks and my Wireless Adapter card.
> Checked that my Wireless adapter card is up to date (It is.)
> Moved my desktop near the modem and plugged in the Ethernet cable (No results)
> Checked the Device Manger list and no yellow error signs have appeared.
> Performed a Full and Quick scan with Norton 360 (Showed No threats)
> Used CCleaner to clean up my registry and computer.
All i can think of at the moment.

NOTE: When i did move my desktop into the room with the router/modem i did not experience this problem.
After performing these fixes the time between disconnections have increased.
Internet seems to suffer greatly when playing multiplayer games (End up in massive lag).

My internet does seem to be getting better however i want to solve this problem once and for all.
I would appreciate any help that i can receive.

Advertisements

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Can you see other nearby wireless networks with your computer? How does their signal strength look? If they look strong or equal to yours, your wireless router and theirs may be fighting for space. Report back with that initially, and then we can go from there to find out what the real problem is.

Finnda

Finnda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thank you for the reply. Before this problem started, i could normally see about 5 or 4 other networks in my list. Now, since the problem occurred there is 0 - 2 networks appearing and disappearing. When another network does appear, they have about 3 or 4 bars. My internet seems to have a stronger connection then they do.

Edited by Finnda, 17 January 2013 - 04:39 PM.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
There are a number of issues you could have, but the common one seems to point to Wireless Routers fighting for channel space. Download and install this program, then run it. http://www.metageek....ducts/inssider/ What we are looking for is how many Wireless networks it can find, and what channel they are all on, including your own network. If you are on the same channel as others and close to them, then your router is fighting for channel space and signal strength against other routers. If we can find that information, we can adjust your network to an open channel and see what happens from there. I have seen this numerous times before and this is usually an easy fix. There is no guarantee that this is the problem, but this is free to try and see what happens.

Finnda

Finnda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ok thank you. im downloading the product now. Do you think this would only effect one person? The rest of the family are having no problems on their computers.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
It is possible, depending upon where your computer is compared to everyone else. I have also seen routers & wireless cards that are going bad exhibit the same type of activity, so this is a bit of work to determine the exact problem.

Finnda

Finnda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have run the program and my network is on a different channel to the other networks. Do you require a screenshot?

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
nope. I trust you. You said you moved your computer to the router and tried running it through the cable, but it didn't do anything. What did it do?

Finnda

Finnda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
All it did was connect to the internet and the problem ceased. However as soon as i took the cable out and brought the computer out of the room the problem reappeared.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Are you using the Win 7 built in tool for connecting to wireless networks, or is there another tool provided by the wifi card manufacturer? Also, what kind of WiFi device are you using in your desktop (PCI, USB, etc.) & make & model?

Advertisements

Finnda

Finnda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
How can i check these items? My wireless adapter is a Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
PCI-E, means its a PCI Express card, so its a physical card that actually plugs into the motherboard, so that answers part of the question. When you connect to your network, do you use the Windows 7 Network & Sharing Center, or is there another program you use to see wireless networks?

Finnda

Finnda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes. I use windows 7 network and sharing center and i also click on the internet bars on the toolbar to access the list also to connect to my network.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Are there two different wireless icons in your system tray?

Finnda

Finnda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
No. I don't believe i see any. Just the one Internet Bar icon next to the sound icon.