Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error message, cant uninstall programs, no restore point anymore [Solv

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Unless you really need Java I would recommend uninstalling it

Advertisements

Tinc27

Tinc27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Thank you. Will do, but what if I run into a program that wants to use it? I am not sure what programs do???? Is there an alternitive? Oh wait, there is more. I just tried to uninstall Java. It asked me if the program could make changes to my hard drive ( in the form of an update ) I said no and it would not uninstall. Tried it again and said yes and it wanted to update Java. Sssooo, I can not uninstall it. Any suggestions???/

Edited by Tinc27, 10 February 2013 - 08:36 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Java is generally used for corporate programmes or online games

Lets try this

Download Javra to your desktop
Run the programme and select Remove JRE

This will totally uninstall Java.

If you wish to keep it then Press update java runtime

Tinc27

Tinc27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Awsome!!!! That worked for Java. Where do I go on my computer to disable / able / check to find out which virus / malware programs are running. I think I may have 2 running at the same time. This might not be good???? When I boot up, and my desktop icons are all loaded I get this login for this program called Steam. How do I stop it from loading???? I don't use this program and don't know what it is used for. After this I think you will be able to close me out. You are the best. Thank you. Wait, I just tried to move this email to my geekstogo folder and I got this message. Moving Message(s) to Geeks to Go. Also my browser address bar showing websites I have been to has changed??

</STRONG>Moving 1 to 1 messages of 1 . Please wait..

Unable to load /webmail/driver?nimlet=moveemail status:503.

Edited by Tinc27, 11 February 2013 - 08:30 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Steam is part of some online games, you should be able to remove it from the control panel

As far as I can see you are running Avast and MBAM they are complimentary programmes that work well together

Also my browser address bar showing websites I have been to has changed??

Could you give me a screenshot so that I can see the changes

Tinc27

Tinc27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Looks like my IE browser got auto updated to IE8? What is your thought on Google Chrome? I have uninstalled Avast because when I updated MS Updates it gave me this security software, Virus / malware so I let the computer use it??? Should I not?? Should I disable it and reinstall Avast??? Might be just the format in the address bar that I am not used to. I will send it. Is it necessary to purchase virus / malware programs or is the free stuff ok?? Tried to upload screen shot, but I get a message that I am not allowed to upload this kind of file. .doc

Edited by Tinc27, 12 February 2013 - 08:02 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I would update IE to at least IE9 and maybe even try IE10 (I have links if you wish)

MSE is not that good at the moment on detecting viruses/malware
I use Avast albeit Internet security version. But, the free version has the same engine and abilities, just no bells and whistles. There is no problem with free antivirus programmes, sometimes they are better than the paid for variants

As for Chrome and Firefox : I have tried both but always return to IE as it works straight out of the box, no requirements to get addons/extensions to make it functional

This is a screenshot of IE10

Tinc27

Tinc27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
After I sent you that screen shot of the error message, I tried to move the email message to the folder again and it worked just fine. I think that maybe my laptop that was hooked up to my router and downloading some info may have interfered with it some how????? I will download Avast again. When I uninstalled Avast it uninstalled no problem. How do I disable the windows antivirus program so it wont interfere with the others and so I wont get the message that I am not protected?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
What we need to do is fully uninstall Avast prior to reinstalling and then security centre will be happy. Wiindows defender is a different protection to Avast so it can be left running

As you have already uninstalled Avast we will clear the remnant before reinstalling

Lets reinstall Avast

Download aswClear to your Desktop.

• Boot to Safe Mode.
    • Restart the computer.
    • As soon as BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until the Advanced Options menu appears.
    • Use the arrow keys to select the Safe mode with Networking menu item
    • Press Enter.
  • Run aswClear
  • In the Select Product to Uninstall dropdown choose the version of Avast that is on your system.
    Posted Image
  • Press Uninstall
  • Once complete reboot your system to Normal Mode
  • Reinstall Avast
----------

Tinc27

Tinc27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
OK. Can we check to make sure its gone? Also I get this banner that keeps popping up stating that my Malwarebytes Anti malware trial verizon has expired. Can we get rid of that too please?

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important

After the computer restarts, install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

When Malwarebytes opens for the first time you will be prompted to start the trial. Make sure that you decline starting the trial

Is that the only problem you have left ?

Tinc27

Tinc27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
LOL. Yes, I believe so. You have been so kind. I know I should have made a list from the start. It may have been much easier for you, but????????????? Be right back. Thank you.

Tinc27

Tinc27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
You have been so patient. Thank you. I do have a slight mental handicap and lack organizational skills. You have been great. I have finished the install of MBAM. What next????

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
That's it I think, the main thing is that you are happy.. It was a pleasure to assist you

Keep safe now, and remember where we are if you need us again :)

Tinc27

Tinc27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Happy is an understatment. Thank you.