Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lx6810-01 I'm guessing fried HD

• Please log in to reply

flyboy1565

flyboy1565

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
rshaffer61, could I use this to get the chip set info then?

Also for step one, I do this on a functioning system correct?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can do use this to gain access to dat if the drive will not boot but it also lets you see if the cdrom drive is working..
What chipset are you trying to find info on?

flyboy1565

flyboy1565

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Well I was ask in previous post if I had a chip set disk. I will try the Linux this weekend.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Your chipset would be included on a drivers disk if you have one. I haven't followed to close but is this a branded system or custom build?

flyboy1565

flyboy1565

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
It's a gateway. It came with no disks and bad hdd. I'm trying to see if it's worth getting a new hdd and Windows 7.

Edited by flyboy1565, 08 February 2013 - 10:25 PM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You seem to be a bit obsessed with this chipset aspect Flyboy when 99% of the time there is no need to be because the driver database in Windows 7 is very very good and I doubt you'll see any issues in Device Manager once 7 is installed.

You say this is a Gateway machine so somewhere on that machine will be a model number for it which we need to know.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

rshaffer61 asked
What chipset are you trying to find info on?

This is about the best match I could find for your Board, FMCP7AM NB : NVIDIA nForce 730i rev B1; Warning, no guarantee they will work. > http://www.findlapto...ivers-download/

Wolfeymole asked
You say this is a Gateway machine so somewhere on that machine will be a model number for it which we need to know.

its a gateway lx6810-01.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Cheers mate :thumbsup:

Well according to Gateway there are 4 updates for a chipset driver for that machine with the latest being this .........

Chipset Driver NVIDIA15.4559.6 MB 10/23/2009

I'd still go with the win 7 install though.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I do see that system has Win7 drivers available for both 32 and 64 bit versions. I didn't check if all were there but the fact it does have some is promising. :thumbsup:

flyboy1565

flyboy1565

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
rshaffer61, totally awesome trick!!! it loaded. Ok so now i know the cdrom works. I can't mount the bad hdd. It looks like i'm going to have to order that hdd and windows7 disc. I'm sooooooooo jazzed!

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
That's great news.
HDD, > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148840

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good job on the test and now you cn play with Linux using the Live cd. It will allow you access to the internet even though you are running it from the cdrom. You won't be able to install anything other then the basic program since it is running from the cdrom but you can try it and see if you like it. :thumbsup:

flyboy1565

flyboy1565

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Is this the USA equivalent to the window7?

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
That's perfect for your needs Flyboy.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Linux cased OS's are a open source type of OS which are free. Win7 and Win8 are not free and are owned by Microsoft.