Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Specific button doesn't work on specific website when antivirus is

• Please log in to reply

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Hi! A family member of mine is running a small auto shop, and one of his computers has developed a problem with a specific button on a specific website.

Here, I'll show you the site (normally you can't see this page without making an account):
Posted Image

I picked a random car to show the whole page. Usually, a customer would call in, and if they ask about a part, the receptionist can click the orange 'quick labor lookup' button on the left, and a window will open where you can enter more information. That button, along with the 'find it' buttons under each item in the picture above, no longer open a window. I looked at the browser options, and pop-ups aren't blocked, so I decided it was the antivirus. I uninstalled AVG Free, and lo and behold, the buttons worked again!

Unfortunately, they stopped working again after I installed Avast! Antivirus. I tried disabling Avast, but the buttons are still broken.

As far as I've looked, no other buttons or websites are broken, and the problem just started in the last week. As far as this guy knows, nothing has changed on the computer besides the contents of his QuickBooks files, but something must have gone wrong. Does Avast have a pop-up blocker or some kind of javascript protection that I can disable?

Advertisements

househeart

househeart

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Hi Thank you for the post. I found it a little bit confusing as I haven't been using Avast all I know is that you can block specific websites using Avast but not how to turn off a pop-up blocker or disable javascript? Would that be any help?

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Hmmm. Well, I guess I'll have to keep messing with the Avast settings until it works.

househeart

househeart

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Have you tried disabling the script shield in Avast?

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I've tried disabling ALL the shields (the option in the right click menue on the taskbar icon.) That didn't work

househeart

househeart

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Have you tried going into Avast's settings and selecting Pop-ups then changing each pop-up's duration from the amount there to 0?Also then run an avast full system scan?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,637 posts
  • MVP
Maybe it's not the anti-virus but Chrome's popup blocker which is causing the problem:
Try turning popup blocking off for the site:
http://support.googl...en&answer=95472

househeart

househeart

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Didn't think of that nice one RKinner thanks :)