Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSODs and boot.ini deleted after every reboot [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Quamble

Quamble

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Good morning! It got pretty late here too. It was 1AM when I posted last, so I went to bed. I'm doing the SP3 uninstall shortly just give me a bit of time, it's been hectic today. The uninstall didn't take too long last time but the reinstall took longer, but I shouldn't be too long. I'll let you know how it goes.

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
:thumbsup:

Quamble

Quamble

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi, sorry about the long wait. It was a really busy day yesterday. I just reinstalled SP3, haven't done anything else. It's blue screening before it boots up. I'm currently using safe mode to boot up. I won't do anything until instructed to. It's probably really late there, so I'll be on around 5-6 PM my time later today, which I think is 11 AM to 12 PM your time. See you then and let me know what I should do.

Edited by Quamble, 24 February 2013 - 07:05 AM.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello Quamble,

Download Memtest86 (the bootable ISO zip file), unzip and burn to CD using ISO Recorder (note there are different versions for SP1 and SP2 - check which one is needed by right clicking My Computer > Properties). If you have Windows XP SP3 please use the version for SP2. Then boot from the CD and let it run for 3 or 4 passes - overnight if possible. Logically, the more tests you run the smaller the chance that the results are that there is no error, but there actually is. If the machine boots from floppy then there is a download link to create a floppy boot disk on that page.

Memtest86 information here

Tell me how you get on. :)

Quamble

Quamble

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hmm, I can let it run over night if truly needed. The thing is, this is the only computer I have access to and I need it for certain school related reasons, especially during the day. Is there any way at all I can get it running in normal mode for the next couple hours until I can run the memory test? I did make a restore point before uninstalling and reinstalling SP3, but I didn't want to do anything without you instructing me to. If not, I can just use safe mode for now; I was just curious. Also, if the memory test comes up with errors, would that mean I'd have to replace the memory?

Edited by Quamble, 24 February 2013 - 05:35 PM.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Also, if the memory test comes up with errors, would that mean I'd have to replace the memory?

It may do or it might be conflict going on. There are actions you can do to check things. Depending on your memory components it may be there are more than one and you could try removing one and seeing if it makes a difference. Check out the link I put in my last post "Memtest Information..."

I'm currently using safe mode to boot up.

I take it this means it is still running perfectly in Safe Mode. If so, I would try options to find the culprit program before running Memtest86. Save that for a time when you don't need the computer.

I know I have mentioned this before but sometimes security programs may the the problem, these run at a much lower level in Safe Mode. Try uninstalling them and see what happens, you can always reinstall them afterwards.

To selectively look for a start up program that may be causing the problem:

Click Start > Run

enter msconfig

choose the Startup tab

uncheck unwanted startup programs and click Apply > OK

Restart you computer

You can turn them back on by reversing the process.

i.e. check and uncheck until you find the offending program.

Also I would recommend you read this:

How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state

Quamble

Quamble

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Alright, I'm trying to figure out what's causing it to blue screen. Also, I'm not sure if this could be connected to anything but something called SPTD.sys refuses to load in safe mode and it says "Hit ESC to stop loading SPTD.sys" I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it and I'm not sure what it is, but just thought I'd let you know.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
SPTD can cause problems.

Try removing it:

To remove SPTD, simply download SPTD setup file http://www.duplexsec...st-v183-x86.exe for Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/Windows 7 (32-bit) [596,536 bytes] and execute it.

In dialog that appears press "Uninstall" button and then SPTD will remove itself from your Windows installation.

If you want to install it again then execute same setup and press "Install".

Quamble

Quamble

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hmm, that's odd. I just clicked the link and ran it and it said "No SPTD version was detected. Select action to be performed." The only options I can click are install or cancel, uninstall is grayed out.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Hmm, that's odd. I just clicked the link and ran it and it said "No SPTD version was detected. Select action to be performed." The only options I can click are install or cancel, uninstall is grayed out.

Your security program may be blocking it or it may be broken.

Go to this link and read the solutions suggested. One you are actioning now but try the one under the heading "How can I disable SPTD on my computer to check if it causes problems?"

Advertisements

Quamble

Quamble

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Figured out the problem. It was the graphics driver. I had to disable it and now I'm in normal mode, it's pretty laggy though and AIM refuses to let me type on it, so I'm using the express version to talk to some friends. Windows is installing updates as we speak, is that alright?

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Windows is installing updates as we speak, is that alright?

Yes you should do that.

Figured out the problem. It was the graphics driver.

Excellent news. :)

I had to disable it and now I'm in normal mode, it's pretty laggy though and AIM refuses to let me type on it,

Might just need updating to the latest version?

I think your machines is good to go now. :thumbsup:

We have a couple of last steps to perform and then you're all set.Posted Image

Follow these steps to uninstall Combofix and tools used in the removal of malware. This will also clean out and reset your Restore Points.

• Go to Start > Programs > Accessories and click on Run
  • Copy and paste the the bolded text below in the box then hit OK

Combofix /Uninstall

Posted Image
Step 2
  • Double-click OTL.exe to run it. (Vista users, please right click on OTL.exe and select "Run as an Administrator")
  • Click on the CleanUp! button
  • Click Yes to begin the Cleanup process and remove these components, including this application.
  • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.

MBAM can be uninstalled via control panel add/remove but it may be a useful tool to keep.

Any other tools remaining may be deleted.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A reminder: Remember to (re-install if uninstalled during cleaning) update and turn back on any anti-malware programs you may have turned off during the cleaning process.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some things that I think are worth having a look at if you don't already know about them:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is good security practice to change your passwords to all your online accounts on a fairly regular basis, this is especially true after an infection. Refer to this Microsoft article Strong passwords: How to create and use them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regularly check that your Java is up to date. Older versions are vunerable to malicious attack.

• Download Java for Windows

Reboot your computer.
    You also need to unininstall older versions of Java.
  • Click Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs
  • Remove all Java updates except the latest one you have just installed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help protect your computer in the future:

• If you do not already have automatic updates set then it is recommended that you do set Windows to check, download and install your updates automatically.

* Click Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update
    * Under Windows Update click on Turn automatic updating on or off
    * Check items shown to ensure you receive updates automatically. Click OK.

And to keep your system clean consider choosing from these free for home use malware scanners and updating and running weekly.
  • Malwarebytes
  • SuperAntiSpyWare
Be aware of what emails you open and websites you visit.

Go here for some good advice about how to prevent infection.

A fun way to check your online safety literacy.

Quiz - getsafeonline

Have a safe and happy computing day!

Quamble

Quamble

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi. All the updates are installed except one which keeps failing to install. I'm still getting that modified security pop up, but that's not what I'm concerned about at the moment. Everything else is working fine except, well, every time I try to enable the graphics driver, I get a blue screen. Do you think it could've been causing the blue screens the entire time? Also, should I run the memory test later just to be sure? Thanks for all the help by the way.

Edited by Quamble, 24 February 2013 - 08:40 PM.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

every time I try to enable the graphics driver, I get a blue screen.

Have you updated the driver? Often that is all that is needed. Having said that it a similar problem happened to my XP machine a year or two ago and I ended up having to replace the graphics card that was slowing breaking down.

Do you think it could've been causing the blue screens the entire time?

It would have been one of the problems but remember we repaired your machines boot.ini, replaced the corrupt system files and removed a lot of malware.

Also, should I run the memory test later just to be sure?

Completely up to you, if it were me though I would leave it until a problem appears. Don't mess with something that is working fine I always say. :lol:

except one which keeps failing to install.

Can you tell me which one?

I'm still getting that modified security pop up,

Remind me what that was saying... I have just had a quick look through the thread but don't immediately see what it actually says.

Quamble

Quamble

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I'm looking into updating it right now. This graphics card is relatively old, if I remember correctly, and updates are no longer coming out for it, but I might have an older version on here I'm unsure. Uhh, I'm not entirely sure how to get a specific name on the update. All it tells me is this: Update for Windows XP (KB2779562) As for the security pop up: It just says "Security" then the dialogue that follows is "The security information is invalid or has been modified. This program will terminate."