Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with a current build

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
OK.
Looks like a couple of steps got missed from Post #24.
The 250GB (Game) drive needs to be formatted before it can be used.

Please print these instructions. > http://pcsupport.abo...indows-disc.htm

> Start the computer, > when you see the Asus Logo, Press F8. this will take you to the Boot Priority window.
> Set the CD/DVD as first boot.
> Set the HDD as Second boot..
> Go exit menu, > save setting and exit.
When the computer restart, put the Window instillation disk in the Optical Drive, Do not close the tray.
> Shut down.

Make sure the power is switched off.
> First, Connect the Game HDD, then, > Disconnect the OS HDD.
> start the computer.

The windows installation should start. Follow the printed instructions. and when finished.

Make sure there is no disk in the Optical Drive and power is switched off.
> Connect the OS HDD..
> Start the computer.
Report Please.

Advertisements

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I did do that. Well I didn't leave the tray open but I did choose the optical drive to be the default on boot but it still freezes on the Asus logo. Nothing will work at that point not F2 or DEL to go into the BIOS just turning it off.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
You said in Post 30 that you had it working with the OS drive connected and the Game HDD disconnected so.
First, reconnect the OS drive.
> disconnect and remove the game HDD from the case. > do a quick inspect of the cabling to make sure all is OK.
> Boot into windows, > try a disk in the Optical drive to make sure it is working.
> With the computer running, > install the Game HDD to the top Caddy..

If the computer does not freeze. Go to disk management and see if the Game HDD is detected, if yes,
Please take a screenshot and include in your next post.

Make sure to remove the Game HDD before the next time you start the computer as it may freeze again on the Asus Logo.

Is there any other message on the screen, perhaps in the lower left corner?
Do you hear any Beeps at start up?

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Yeah the computer works fine with the 160GB which i have installed the OS windows 8 already on. But when i followed your steps with disconnecting it and plugging in the game drive it freezes every time on the boot process just stays on the Asus logo on the screen nothing else. The optical drive works since i used that to install windows 8 on the other drive.

If i plug the game drive while the computer is on will that damage anything in the process if it does end up freezing? I've been tempted to do that but in fear of that happening.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

If i plug the game drive while the computer is on will that damage anything in the process if it does end up freezing?

No. You will just have to shut down, remove the Gamer HDD and reboot.

Try all the steps in Post #33, don't miss any. Need to see that the Optical drive works when you are running in the OS, not just at boot up.

Please answer.
Is there any other message on the screen, perhaps in the lower left corner?<br style="color: rgb(13, 41, 117); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(242, 242, 242);">Do you hear any Beeps at start up?

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Ok i will check it. No there isn't any other messages on screen just the Asus logo and the press F2 or DEL to enter BIOS. There is no speaker that came with the motherboard but there is check lights on the motherboard itself and the only one that stays on when it freezes is the BOOT_DEVICE light.

I bought an SSD and this is probably a question for the manufacturer but my Samsung 840 didn't come with the usb connection just the data transfer software. xD

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I connected the game drive to my computer while it was running good news it didn't freeze anything, bad news nothing pops up in the hard drives -_-

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
That's a good start.
Let's see if it is present in device manager.
Click on the Windows 7 Start button.
Copy and paste this command in the search box and then press Enter

devmgmt.msc

Click on the to Disk drives.
Take a screenshot and add to your next reply.

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
This is what came up whei put in the command prompt.

I am running windows * just so you know.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Windows 8 sorry

Advertisements

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
here are all the disk drives that show up

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks.
The OS is not recognizing the Game HDD. this could because the drivers need updating.

I have not used Windows 8 so please be even more patient as I have to find the new way of managing the OS.This article gives a good explanation of what is available in Computer Management.
>http://winsupersite....power-user-menu

Another way To open computer management.
Press the Windows key and X together.

With the OS drive connected and the Game HDDD in the Caddy.

Restart the computer and press the delete key.
Do you enter the BOIS?

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
No problem I am in no rush. I appreciate all the advice you have given me thanks. I have a feature on my motherboard that automatically takes me to my BIOS after I restart, direct BIOS key i think i can try that out see if it works I'll let you know how that goes.

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
It still froze while restarting :( with the drive connected.

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
So now i can't access my computer. I followed the instructions for coming process of the Samsung ssd software it went good. Swapped my drive for the ssd and everything was fine until a message poped saying that something was wrong with my pc it needed to restart and now this message is on screen when it booted up.

*can't upload picture while on phone

But it says "the application our operation couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing out contains errors.

File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Error Code: 0xc000000f

You'll need to use recovery tools on your installation media. If you have any installation media (like a disc USB device) contact your system Alistair our PC manufacturer.

Press Enter to try again
Press F8 for Startup Settings"

I have the disc inside and ours either option and nothing happens.