Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Low resolution icons on the taskbar

• Please log in to reply

Mumps

Mumps

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Good Day.

I know this isn't a major problem, but I know I've figured out a way to fix this before, but I recently installed Windows 7 again, and I can't for the life of me find the solution again...

Most of my icons on the taskbar are very pixelated and look very low res. As an exemple, before you could make out the Firefox logo, and now (while it still looks like it) it mostly looks like an orange blob wrapped around a blue blob.

I guess this is just an aesthetic thing, and not a serious problem, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

TheBigHelper

TheBigHelper

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
There's a chance your color quality settings are messed up. Are you sure it's set to 32/64 bit and not 8bit? I've had this same problem which was fixed on changing the color quality to 32 bit. So try it out.

Mumps

Mumps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Thanks for the swift reply. Unfortunately, my settings were already at 32bit, I just double checked.

TheBigHelper

TheBigHelper

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Try out the fix in this link: http://answers.micro...4b-68b599b31bf5 Seems to be the exact same problem.

Mumps

Mumps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I can't seem to find the options screen they are mentioning...

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What is Resolution set to? Right click on Desktop and select Screen Resolution to see. Is the monitor recognized (drivers loaded)? For instance, mine looks like this:

DisplaySettings.jpg

Mumps

Mumps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Thanks TheBigHelper and Ztruker for replying and doing your best to help!

I was able to figure it out. In the Display Settings, I had it set to 125% (default) so I changed it to 100%, which makes things a little bit tiny, but for some reason the even smaller icons are now more clear.

See you all next time, when I have another problem, as I tend to with this dying machine XD

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
To make the Desktop icons and text bigger but not affect the Taskbar, hold down the Ctrl key and roll the mouse wheel. One way makes this bigger, the other smaller.

jclark

jclark

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi Mumps,
The problem faced by you is something that i have also had. With the little knowledge that i have i was able top solve it. These are the steps that i followed may be it might help you.

- firstly load the default theme
-click on advanced settings
-now compare the numbers of sizes of each item with the decimal version of the "sizes" on

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Appearance\New Schemes\Current Settings SaveAll\Sizes\0

- there should be two numbers which don't match or example were 21 on appearance dialog and 23 on registry, two times
- double-click on the registry value, change data type to decimal, and write what you have on dialog
- repeat it for other mismatches
- now close the registry and start task manager
- end explorer.exe process
- click on menu>>file>>new task run>>explorer.exe
- close task manager