Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8 system recovery discs

• Please log in to reply

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Got a new laptop with Windows 8 and as we all know they no longer come with a recovery cd just a recovery partition. What I am wanting to do is create a factory system image so if I need to reload Windows at anytime I can. Using the recovery tool built into the laptop it allows you to export the recovery image to an external device which I did and ended up with these files and also a preview folder.

init.w01
init.w02
init.w03
init.wcl
init.woo
WinClonlnit.srs
What do you do with these files to create the factory image? I have also made a standard recovery disc using recdisc. I know on my laptop you initialize the recovery with F4. I am wanting this disc in case at anytime the hard drive fails I can reload to a new one.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hey wizzy2k5

Check out Macrium Reflect (free) for making an image of your HDD http://www.macrium.c...eflectfree.aspx

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hiya phillpower

I have cloned the hard drive which failed with that option but got important things backed up. I will try what you mentioned and go from there. Will this create the iso I need? also one last question I tried to boot off a cd and it would not (ultimate boot cd for example) I googled and I came across disable secure boot so I did, got the option and still nothing so any ideas for that? or is there a manual F button to press? my F2 goes into bios, F4 recovery and others are unknown. Safe mode I have no idea of as tried F5 + F8 and nothing. I used Macrium to clone the hard drive so will try it for this task :)

Thanks phill

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi wizzy2k5

Yes Macrium will provide you with an exact image on a DVD type disk.

You said that you tried to boot from a CD, do you mean a DVD as that is the type of disk that you require for this type of procedure, CDs are no longer compatible with the newer Microsoft OSs.

Is the boot order in the BIOS set to DVD drive first and the HDD second.

You are welcome BTW wizzy2k5 :thumbsup:

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hiya phill,

The CD was an example not for the operating system. The second HDD will not boot when in so will try with a dvd. The device boot priority is set in order and no luck as external is not dectected in BIOS. Will let you know about DVD image later.

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi wizzy2k5

Just a quick tip when burning this type of DVD, set the burn speed at no more than X4.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

...also one last question I tried to boot off a cd and it would not (ultimate boot cd for example) I googled and I came across disable secure boot so I did, got the option and still nothing so any ideas for that? or is there a manual F button to press? my F2 goes into bios, F4 recovery and others are unknown. Safe mode I have no idea of as tried F5 + F8 and nothing. I used Macrium to clone the hard drive so will try it for this task :)

Hi,

On Windows 8 Microsoft decided to disable the F8 key...
On some machines with UEFI and Windows 8 installed with Secure Boot active to boot from CD/DVD, USB disk, etc besides disabling Secre Boot you need to disable/enable another option referring Legacy Boot some manufacturers use the term CSM (Compatibility Support Module).

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
All sorted :)

Got boot order sorted in the BIOS but some reason Macrium only copied the hard drive and the external would not boot however got that sorted as I was messing around and it came up with some random rubbish about it cannot find the recovery partition on C:\ however it managed to export the image to my external hard drive and I recovered to factory default :) I am sure Windows 8 works backwards hahaha anyway I have the external partitioned with my main data backup and a 20GB recovery partition when I need it :)

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
That's great news wizzy2k5 and thanks for the follow up :thumbsup:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
1. There are basically - two means of recovery from serious problems on Windows 8

2. One is Refresh, which may be considered the old repair install of XP or the custom install on 7

3. The other is the re-install from an image, such as mentioned by my good colleague phillpower2 - HOWEVER that image will rarely if ever, except when it is just created, be an image of EVERYTHING on your computer - as photos, documents, sound files etc, will presumably change within just days of the image being created.

4. There are also however attendant requirements provided by the new (or at least newly named) File History and this is accessed in Control Panel - File History

See screenshot please
Untitled.jpg

Here also for you is HOW that may be used.
http://windows.micro...se-file-history

5. In addition, there is also the strangely named Windows 7 File Recovery - again that is listed in Control Panel. It still provides as it did on 7 the means to create an image and a repair disc.
It is so named, because Microsoft now consider that with the introduction of 8 - the situation is as this

http://msdn.microsof...3(v=vs.85).aspx

YOU should also read this
http://support.micro....com/kb/2748351

I appreciate that the links are NOT easy reading, but including them for you will save me an awful lot of typing.

6. Insofar as relates to the Safe Mode etc.
If you press the Windows key (on the keyboard) plus C
you then have the charms bar to the right of the screen

If you then click settings - and then change pc settings -see screenshot please
Untitled.jpg

YOU then end up here - if you click the General selection on the left of the screen
advanced.jpg

From there you can see the options and on the advanced options you have another selection, which by again selecting advanced - you may then see the familiar choices of safe mode etc.

7. You may also need to consider this to ensure YOU are fully protected against failure of the file system or even worst the failure of the hard drive
http://windows.micro...efresh-reset-pc

http://windows.micro...ng-file-history

and the definitive guide to the new File History
http://blogs.msdn.co...le-history.aspx

8. HOPE you find it of some assistance.
However generally speaking of course, your first line of approach in case of problems is a system restore point. If of course the problem is not so serious as to require more drastic measures.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 29 April 2013 - 07:33 AM.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Thanks Macboatmaster,

Although this has been resolved I will keep your information on bookmarks as I have a habit of losing things :) some of the information above I never knew about but again I am use to Windows XP and Windows 7 :)

Once again thanks.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
You are welcome.

If it was me I would always ensure that irrespective of what image you have, you also have an up to date File History back up