Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD Win 7x64 - ntoskrnl.exe

• Please log in to reply

zfastss

zfastss

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi There,
I've been having a problem with a recurring BSOD for the last couple of weeks. At first I thought it was due to this bad windows update, since that's about when it started:
http://www.techkings...9th-2013-a.html

Now that I removed the update I am still having BSOD issues.
I've run full scans with Norton 360 and Malwarebytes with nothing found. I've run hardware diagnostics and everything came back fine. I've used system repair (no errors found) and system restore and there is no change. I've opened the case and blew out any dust and made sure the memory sticks were seated.

I haven't added any hardware nor installed any programs, so I'm thinking that it could be caused by an update to Norton?

I can fully boot in safe mode, but when I boot in normal mode I can get to my desktop but then within a min or so the BSOD Stop Error occurs (even if I don't do anything but let the system run)...possibly occurring while Norton is doing it's initial startup routine.

I've attached the minidump file that haves been saved (exported from blue screen view).

I truly appreciate any help or advice on the next steps to resolve this. I may try a full reinstall of Norton while waiting for a reply to this post.
Thanks in advance.

Update...uninstalled Norton...still get the BSOD but now it's for IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL in ntoskrnl.exe

I should also add that this is an HP desktop HPE-170t:
12GB ram
intel i7 860 2.8ghz
win 7x64 home premium
ati radeon hd 5770 graphics

Attached Files

• Attached File  dump.txt   1.99KB   124 downloads

Edited by zfastss, 27 April 2013 - 05:05 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
See here, see if it helps identify the problem: How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

zfastss

zfastss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ztrucker, Thanks for the tip. I'm leaning towards a virus slipping through now...Norton 360 was behaving strangely (would not launch or would flash open and then close immediately). Just received a windows notification that I may have the Alureon virus. Out of paranoia I ran Norton power eraser and tdsskiller from Kaspersky for which it found one infected item, Rootkit.Boot.Harbinger.a and reported a successful removal of it. Also out of paranoia I've completely removed Norton 360 and reinstalled and so far so good...just finished running another full scan with Norton 360 and nothing found.