Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8 user authorization changed

• Please log in to reply

Paul432220

Paul432220

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
I have changed recently the logon proces on the laptop of my daughter, she initially signed on with her hotmail address, however she wanted to change this to a local account, which is what i did. After this operation it looks like a whole number of standard Windows 8 tiles disappeared (eg recycle bin, control panel etc) all disappeared from the standard Win8 tiles scheme. I can still get to the recycle bin though via the desktop tile....but not to the others...
She is the only user on the system, has administrator rights, however, i cannot open a cmd window with admin rights anymore as well...
It is just a standalone Win 8 laptop, so no domain etc. Something has gone wrong here with her access rights i believe but i cannot put my hand on it.
Returning to a email signon user does not revert things either, any advise what to look for ?
thanks

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I'm not fully conversant with all aspects of Windows 8 but if the User aspect in control panel is the same as Windows 7 then there has to be at least one Administrator on the computer.

If you created a Standard User account then most of the icons would be missing if they were not set as being able to be used by all users, Avast being an example.

Consider this from my pc if I wanted to change myself to a standard user.

User Acc.shf.png

It sounds like you are trying to open Command Prompt on a standard user account that does not have Admin rights.

Paul432220

Paul432220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Hi,
tx, i know, i double checked and i am the only user on the system and am also the administrator, so this should be ok...
Cheers

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Please provide a screen shot of what it says in User Accounts.

Paul432220

Paul432220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
As requested, screenshot in attachment,
Cheers

user screenshot.jpg

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
When you took the screen shot did you click on "Change your account type" to obtain it?

What I am looking for is the screen before that like this....

User Accounts.shf.png

Paul432220

Paul432220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Hi,
attached, the requested image,
Cheers

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot.jpg

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Please click on Manage another account and show us a screen shot of that, can you make it larger this time please as I am having trouble reading them.

Paul432220

Paul432220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
As requested, a new screenshot, now somewhat larger,
Cheers

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot2.jpg

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Does "gastaccount is uitgeschakeld" mean the same as "guest account is off" Paul or has it actually been disabled, as that Dutch phrase seems to suggest that?

Advertisements

Paul432220

Paul432220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Hi,
Yes, guest account has been disabled, this is correct
Cheers

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Why did you disable it?

I'm not exactly sure what you are requesting here as there is only one account and that is your daughters and she is set as admin.

There are no other accounts that you can log in to.

Paul432220

Paul432220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
I believe that the disabling from the guest account was done long time ago. The issue here is that, after removing the way she logs on (via their email address and pw)a number of things disappeared from her Win 8 tiles, despite she is and remained administrator. I turned back the change, so she logs on again via her mail address, but the things that disappeared from the Win 8 tiles did not come back,
and so i wonder why that is the case, the fact eg that as an administrator, there is no tile left for the recycle bin, the configuration panel, a command session, is not normal, all those tiles were there initially, so i am puzzled why they are away and how i can get them back...
Cheers

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I don't exactly know what you have done here mate but like I said earlier if you made a Standard User account and whether you set it as Admin or not certain features like program icons etc would be missing.

The original admin account that was formed when the machine was set up should stay the same no matter what.

Paul432220

Paul432220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Hi,
that is the kernel of the question here, like i said, i only changed the way the logon is done, and afterwards set it back, ....
I also do not want to make any other account as for a PC on which only 1 person is working, this does not make much sense....as long as the person is aware that he should not be doing special things, it should be ok (which is the case here)....