Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External hard drive not being recognised but its connected?

• Please log in to reply

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Ok all may not be lost.

Were the screws attaching the two halves of the enclosure located under the rubber grommets that could also be regarded as feet for the drive?

Advertisements

saintsfc1

saintsfc1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
yea there was a seal saying if broken warrenty is void but the seal is still fine

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Ok.

Here is what I did with a faulty brand new external LG optical drive that not only did not show when I double left clicked on Computer it also took my onboard optical drive with it.

When one looked in Computer it appeared that I had no optical drives whatsoever.

I took screen shots of this and when I went back to Curry's I showed them the shots and argued the toss with their supposed "Techs".

They did not even take the drive out of the packaging to have a look and if the seal appears to be ok then you may wish to follow my line.

saintsfc1

saintsfc1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
okay will do that when i take it back cheers

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You're welcome Saints, please let us know how you go on mate. :thumbsup:

saintsfc1

saintsfc1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
will do , i know we have spoke about handing it back in , but do you think there is still hope trying to fix it at home as the drive does show up in 'device manager'

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Showing in Device Manager may only mean that that the drive is being physically detected whereas Disk Management is the acid test and if it does not show in there, as you have said, then I would offer that the drive is beyond redemption.

Take it back to Maplins my friend.