Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Work Computer to Home Computer - The Headache

• Please log in to reply

remmons

remmons

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I brought a computer home from work (a large university) and it has been the biggest headache yet. It is a Dell Optiplex 990.
I got a new computer at work and asked if I could bring my old one home since it was just a little too slow but nothing else wrong with it. My boss gave me the OK and I took it home last Friday. When I got it home I started kicking myself instantly for not having I.T. look at it before I left with it. When I went to log in, there are 2 options. One is my username/password that I use to get into the system at work and the other was a combo of letters and numbers. I used my credentials to log into the computer just as I would have if I were at work. And the computer is acting just as if I were at work (no surprise there).
The problem is that when I hook the PC up to the internet it starts communicating with the server at my job, making me terrified to download anything in fear that it’ll send a virus through the server or something crazy like that. So I tried to wipe it clean and start fresh, hitting Ctrl and F11 during start-up as I was instructed to by the google-god. Unfortunately that doesn't do anything at all and the system just starts up as normal. Could my computer be built a little differently since it was made for a secure environment? I am wondering how the [bleep] I am supposed to wipe this thing clean and start over? Of course I would LIKE to preserve the MS office Pro that is installed but I understand if that is not possible. I really don’t mind if any info/programs that I don’t need stay on the system, since they are all from my job anyway. However I do NOT want the computer to be communicating with the server every time it is turned on/off. I do not have the disks for it and I.T. told me this morning that ‘once the machine has left the campus we are no longer responsible to fix it’… I assume that is the polite way of saying ‘that’s not my job lady’ and I completely understand. What I.T. did say they could do is to try to set up a new user account on that computer for me. I’m not sure that this is the best way of fixing the problem. Adding another user account just seems like it would take up way more space on the computer.

Someone please help. I am dying to go home and download my games and personal photos etc to the computer but I do not want to do that if my job is getting updates/access to the machine. Your help is much appreciated I would really like to put this machine to use rather than throwing it away it has been a great computer.

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
You need to take it back to IT to have them remove their pieces and make sure that anything in your account that you logged into is moved to another account on the machine before they delete that account or you will lose that material.

You will need to create a new account that is not linked to them before having them delete your work account.