Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Service Pack 1 Refuses to Install

• Please log in to reply

kinolie21

kinolie21

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
For the last two months I have been attempting to update my father's computer with Service Pack one. It keeps saying that it has succesfully installed, however when the computer reboots and it says it is configuring, it then says it has failed and reverts. I have completed all the things that I have found online to troubleshoot the problem. The only thing I have not done is a windows repair with the initial disc and this is because I do not have the initial disc. Does anyone have any ideas about how else to fix this problem? I have even downloaded a file straight from microsoft that took about six hours to download, only to run it and have it fail. The operating system is Windows 7 and it is a HP Pavilion g series.

Thank you,
Nichole

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If you want to use System Recovery or Factory Reset see the link below on how to on a HP Pavilion g series.

http://h10025.www1.h...product=5078385

Hope that helps

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I just went through this a few days ago. Got impatient and restored to factory state. I would suggest post at sysnative.com and letting Richard or Jeff help you as they are very good at this kind of problem. First run the System Update Readiness Tool and post the results in the trhread you start there.

See here: What is the System Update Readiness Tool?

The System Update Readiness Tool can help fix problems that might prevent Windows updates and service packs from installing. For example, an update might not install if a damaged system file prevents the update from recognizing the version of Windows that's running on your computer.

If your computer is having problems installing an update or a service pack, download and install the tool, which runs automatically. Then, try installing the update or service pack again.

Note: SURT does not work on Windows 8. You have to use the DISM command instead.