Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer.exe reaching 6,000,000K memory usage and crashing when watchi

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,789 posts
Hi Deven,

No problem as I am very busy at work at the moment so will not be around for a couple of hours, I will be back online after work at about 1800hrs UK time.

Advertisements

Deven

Deven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Hi Deven,

No problem as I am very busy at work at the moment so will not be around for a couple of hours, I will be back online after work at about 1800hrs UK time.

Thanks! I was watching a movie after such a long time last night and when I paused it and try to check my email, everything started going so slow and surely enough explorer.exe was at 6,000,000 in the task manager. I'v noticed its when I start watching the movie, it gradually goes up and up even though I can't tell. I only notice it when I try and go into a different program.

The same also happens when I'm playing a game such as Bioshock or GTA4. Any game.

Edited by Deven, 11 July 2013 - 05:25 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,789 posts
The first thing that I noted at your test results was the fact that you are almost out of free storage space on your HDD, this is the first thing that you need to address and which I feel will help if not completely resolve the present issue/s, please see my canned text below;

Please note that you must always have a minimum of between 15 and 20% of a HDDs overall storage capacity available as free space or you risk the data on the drive becoming corrupt or in a worst case scenario mechanical failure of the HDD itself.
The above can render a computer inoperable if the HDD concerned has the OS on it due to the MBR (Master Boot Record) becoming damaged/corrupt, please see information @ http://pcsupport.abo...sterbootrec.htm

Uninstall any unused programs such as old games etc - use any uninstaller provided to remove a program if one is not provided use the add/remove/uninstall a program option.

Next return to the PCPitstop results and address the other items that have a red X against them, if you hover the cursor over the item you will be given a description of the issue and if you click on it you will be instructed how to correct the problem, post back when you have done this.