Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random BSOD seemingly unrelated to load

• Please log in to reply

harritan

harritan

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi, lately ive been getting random BSOD's aswell as random moments of extremely 'low framerate' that seem to be entirely random. I could be performing relatively 'low intensity' tasks and they will happen and not happen when running alot. I am completely oblivious to the cause and system restoring, uninstalling programs etc.. has had no effect thus far.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,799 posts
:welcome: harritan

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, add on video card if one is used, the amount of Ram and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

harritan

harritan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Custom Build

Motherboard: ASUS P5k
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
RAM: 4096 MB
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer HCG-520

Just now the computer simply froze/crashed, mouse wouldnt move, time didnt change etc..

Edited by harritan, 05 July 2013 - 07:41 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,799 posts
Go to Start then to Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take an expanded screenshot and attach it to your next reply.

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

harritan

harritan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Here are the screenshots

*NOTE* i run a corsair Hydro series water cooling system, this may effect the speedfan readings

Attached Thumbnails

• diskamangmentscreen.png
  • speedfanscreen.png

Edited by harritan, 06 July 2013 - 05:45 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,799 posts
Things of note are high CPU usage, incomplete voltage readings, odd temp readings and low free storage space on the HDD, please see my canned text below, can you run HWMonitor for us so that we have a comparison to Speedfan, I suggest that if you don`t uninstall Speedfan right away that you uncheck the Auto fan speed box http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Please note that you must always have a minimum of between 15 and 20% of a HDDs overall storage capacity available as free space or you risk the data on the drive becoming corrupt or in a worst case scenario mechanical failure of the HDD itself.
The above can render a computer inoperable if the HDD concerned has the OS on it due to the MBR (Master Boot Record) becoming damaged/corrupt, please see information @ http://pcsupport.abo...sterbootrec.htm

harritan

harritan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Heres the HWmonitor results.

Ill get started now on getting rid of anything i can from the HD.

Attached Thumbnails

• HWMonitor screen.png

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,799 posts
Thanks for the update harritan :thumbsup:

There is just the high AUX temp reading looking untoward in HWMonitor and that could be an anomalous reading caused by the MBs own monitoring software, we can double check later, did you uncheck the Auto fan speed control box or uninstall Speedfan.

Good idea to free up space on the HDD right away, be sure to use any uninstallers provided for any relevant program as this helps avoid stray files being left, post back when you are done and I will provide details to help you tidy and free up further space on the HDD.

harritan

harritan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi,

I managed to clear around 20gb through uninstalling programs. And i uninstalled Speedfan prior to using HW Monitor.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,799 posts
Hello harritan

How has the computer been behaving since you have cleared some space on the HDD.

Advertisements

harritan

harritan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi,

Over the last couple of days i had no crashes, although a few moments where the PC dropped to an extremely low "framerate" for about a minute before it started running normally again (did not restart).

I just turned the PC on however and after about 15 minutes it froze and restarted itself however.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,799 posts
Hi harritan,

Sorry for the delay but I have been snowed under with work the past couple of days.

I will be back online after work at about 1800hrs UK time.

harritan

harritan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thats fine, ive been busy also.

Just had the first BSOD for a couple of days, is there any infomation i could provide via the Event Viewer that may aid finding a solution?

harritan

harritan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Just BSOD'd 3 times within the space of mabye half an hour so ive retired to my laptop for now.

"The Windows driver framework has detected that a violation has occured.
The STOP CODE was: 0x0000010D (0x00000005, 0x00000000, 0x00001202, 0xA0537428)

Edited by harritan, 13 July 2013 - 12:45 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,799 posts
Is/are Windows and all drivers up to date.

Can you post an updated Disk Management screenshot for us please.