Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Won't boot from a recovery drive

• Please log in to reply

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,589 posts

That disk is empty. You will need to re-install.

Boot with the Installation Media.

Run Setup

When you get to the screen that asks for language, press Shift + F10 (or the Applications/Context Menu key if your keyboard has it) to open a Command Prompt   Type the following commands:

diskpart   (you will likely get a UAC prompt for diskpart, answer, “Yes,” of course)

list disk

select disk 0   

clean or clean all     Purges the disk of all existing partitions

convert gpt     Initializes the disk as GPT required for booting on a UEFI motherboard.   If you get an error ignore it.  

exit    (to close diskpart)

exit    (to close Command Prompt

The install will now continue; answer any prompts appropriately. When you get to the screen asking on which disk you wish install Windows, activate the Next button. The Windows  installer will automatically partition and format the drive (using the boot type you previously specified in the convert command above if you needed to perform Step 4, otherwise it will figure things out as part of the install to an uninitialized drive based upon the hardware configuration you have).

Advertisements

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Hmm, I wonder where it went?

If I reinstall, will I lose everything that was previously on there? Need to prewarn my daughter about this.

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,148 posts

Hmm, I wonder where it went?

If I reinstall, will I lose everything that was previously on there? Need to prewarn my daughter about this.

RSP, I also told you earlier that the disk has nothing on it. The best you can do is following JS's instructions above. 

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,589 posts

Type Notepad at the prompt. Notepad will open. Click on File => Open, select this computer and browse to drive C. What can you see on the drive?

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

I've reloaded the operating system and done the set up, seems to be working as before.

Is there anything else I need to do?

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,589 posts

A few final recommendations:

The following information will help you to keep your computer and data safer as well as improve your overall privacy

Malwarebytes Browser Guard

uBlock Origin

Cybersecurity basics & protection

Everything you need to know about cybercrime
https://www.malwareb...m/cybersecurity

Further reading if you'd like to keep up on the malware threat scene: Malwarebytes Blog  https://blog.malwarebytes.com/

Please review the following to help you better protect your computer and privacy

Tips to help protect from infection

Hopefully, we've been able to assist you with correcting your system issues.

Thank you for using GeekstoGo. Please tell your friends and family if they too need assistance with malware removal.

Regards.