Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems Booting Off External HDD

• Please log in to reply

rulibar8

rulibar8

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi There

Long story short:
Laptop went bad.
Removed HDD.
Bought an external enclosure and a new desktop PC.
Using HDD as an external.
New PC Windows 7 is currently not activated.

Since the old HDD has an active Windows 7 installed on it, which I no longer need, I would like to boot through the old HDD and acquire my product key. I access the BIOS and tell the comp to boot from the HDD, but from what I can tell the HDD doesn't recognize the new components and won't successfully boot.

Any suggestions? Any additional information?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You have a couple of problem.
First is that the serial number you are trying to use is for the laptop and cannot legally be transferred to the pc.
Second is that booting to the laptop hd won't work because it is looking for the laptop and the drivers will not math up.
Third if your pc is new where did the Win7 come from that is installed and not activated?