Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gaming build!

• Please log in to reply

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Bleh, alright, thanks! I guess I got lucky with my tower, I never checked the MB compatibility but turns out it accommodated micros anyways.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
I wouldn`t recommend the use of this case but for what it is worth I found it odd that a mid tower would not accept an mATX sized MB so I did some research and found that Raidmax state ATX and micro ATX will fit http://www.raidmax.c...is/tornado.html and a further check says ATX and "smaller" http://www.superbiiz...name=CA-ATX238U

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Oh wow, thank you very much for finding that! I like some of the other colors shown on raidmax's website as well! What do you dislike about this case, the raidmax one?

Here is what I am getting as of right now:

GPU: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814202035
PSU: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139005
Case: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811133179

Here is what I have as of right now (From old build):

Motherboard: http://www.findlapto...80p-specs-dell/
CPU: Came with that MB ^^^ Pentium Dual-Core Cpu E5200 @ 2.50GHz 2.49GHz
RAM: From Speccy, RAM
Memory slots
Total memory slots 2
Used memory slots 2
Free memory slots 0
Memory
Type DDR2
Size 4096 MBytes
Channels # Dual
DRAM Frequency 399.0 MHz
CAS# Latency (CL) 6 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 6 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 6 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 18 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 2T
Physical Memory
Memory Usage 52 %
Total Physical 4.00 GB
Available Physical 1.90 GB
Total Virtual 8.23 GB
Available Virtual 5.56 GB
SPD
Number Of SPD Modules 2

I know parts will be bottle necked with this build but for right now, it's what I can afford and it's only temporary. I will upgrade the MB, RAM and CPU with the parts you suggested earlier in this thread, probably the week of September 13th.

EDIT: Added Case link
EDIT 2: Added CPU info
EDIT 3: Added RAM info

Edited by heartgrave, 06 August 2013 - 06:44 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
You are welcome heartgrave :thumbsup:

The Raidmax case is badly let down by the poor quality cooling fans and the lack of USB 3.0 ports, the Thermaltake case also has a poor cooling system in only having the one fan + it also has no USB 3.0 ports, the Thermaltake case does however have a better 3 year warranty as opposed to the 1 year warranty that the Raidmax has.

The GPU and PSU are both ok and will go nicely with your other intended upgrades when the time comes.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
I will add more fans at a later time. If it comes down to it, I will have my dad leave the side panel off with a small 10" box fan blowing in. I will add the rest of the fans when I upgrade the rest. My dad likes black and blue and trying to find a case that is around $40 is troublesome. I do not think anything he has or uses is usb 3.0 and I doubt he will ever buy anything that is. The mouse and keyboard he has came with the All-In-One.

You see no problems using the old parts with the items I am buying, right?

Being that the MB, CPU and RAM is only $265 total on Newegg, I will probably be increasing the budget from the $265 price up to around maybe $350-$400 since the paycheck I get on the 13th of September is open to me (no bills) to allow for a better build.

Edited by heartgrave, 06 August 2013 - 07:15 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
The Raidmax fans should be ok in the short term but appear troublesome after prolonged use.

You can add a PCI-E or a PCI type card that has USB 3.0 ports should it ever be required to suit new hardware.

The Ram being the slower DDR2 is the only issue that I foresee.

Let us know what your upgrade budget is when the time comes and we can look at your options then, prices fluctuate all of the time.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Ok, so, just spoke to my pops. Randomly he comes out and says that he wants a computer he can do graphic design on SOOOO bad. I am posting this on here, because I will most likely forget he said that by tomorrow. I will be getting him the parts needed for that, but it will not be until I get the parts on the 13th of September. I am posting this here now for future reference since I will be reopening this post at that time to do the further building. This is just being done as a note to self kinda thing.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
:thumbsup:

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Something just dawned on me. If you do a disk image through Marcium or Puppy, doesn't it create a backup for all info on your system, Windows configurations and setting and data and all that? If it does, wouldn't that cause an issue when putting the image back on the HDD after you install the new Windows?

I want to update you on the matter that I am buying a new HDD with the first initial purchase I am doing on August 16th (Windows 7, GPU, PSU). I will be putting Windows 7 on this HDD and putting it into the computer. I would like to also take the old HDD he has and put it into this build. Can I just swap it into this new build without having to do anything to it? It won't cause any conflicts, right?

Edited by heartgrave, 07 August 2013 - 07:26 AM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

I will be putting Windows 7 on this HDD and putting it into the computer.

Other way around: Mount the HDD in the computer first and then install Windows on it.

I would like to also take the old HDD he has and put it into this build. Can I just swap it into this new build without having to do anything to it? It won't cause any conflicts, right?

Correct.

Advertisements

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

I will be putting Windows 7 on this HDD and putting it into the computer.

Other way around: Mount the HDD in the computer first and then install Windows on it.
HA HA you got it. That's what I meant!

Thank you!

I should clarify, I want to have it so both HDDs are in the system so he will have a total of 1TB from both 500GB HDDs.

Edited by heartgrave, 07 August 2013 - 08:13 AM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Yep. Physically connect the old hard drive *-after-* you've installed Windows on the new hard drive, and you'll be good to go.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Yep. Physically connect the old hard drive *-after-* you've installed Windows on the new hard drive, and you'll be good to go.

Thank you much!

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
You're more than welcome. :)

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Will it matter if connections are SATA II vs SATA III? I do not think the MB I am using is SATA III, anyway to tell?

EDIT: Looked up the MB and found this "2 * SATA 3Gb/s connectors"

Edited by heartgrave, 08 August 2013 - 12:20 AM.