Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help with msconfig

• Please log in to reply

Themkman

Themkman

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
hello

I have got myself in a bit of pickle,

I have been running nvidia surround for quite a while, I put down some new flooring so i attached only one monitor so i could listen to music, when i reattached the other 2 monitors one of them went out of range, so i tried connecting via vga and rebooted, still out of range, so i then read up on the internet and i found that i should enable safe mode in msconfig as my keyboard kicks in a little too late for my f8 to register, so I did this and it rebooted, now my problem. it will not boot into safe mode, it just keeps either getting stuck at classpnp.sys or it would pass that and then just go to a black screen for ever and there is no way to start windows normally, if i select start windows normally it still does it in safe mode, I have borrowed a friends hhd with windows 7 on and booted that with my hhd as slave, so now i can access my hhd but i need to know HOW TO REMOVE THE BOOT IN SAFE MODE, with my hdd as a slave, is there a ini file ii can modify? or any other way that i can remove this safe mode boot as no options in the f8 command work all do exactly the same.

any help will be massively appreciated

Thank you in advance

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

HOW TO REMOVE THE BOOT IN SAFE MODE

Just open up msconfig and then on the Boot tab you’ll uncheck the “Safe boot” checkbox.

I think that's it. Hope it helps.

Joe :)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Can you get to the Advanced Options screen using F8? If so, select Last known configuration that worked.

Themkman

Themkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks for the replys as I am running my hdd with my own Window. 7 on as a slave the msconfig is my friends hdd so I can not access mine and last known good configuration still tries to boot in safe mode, I need to be abl. To access the msconfig that is on my hdd which is connected as a slave device, I know on xp you could edit the boot ini file but Windows 7 seems to have removed this file from Windows, so I need to find another way so that I can get my own hdd to boot out of safemode

Edited by Themkman, 08 August 2013 - 05:53 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Put your hard drive back as it should be. Read here: Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Start, mainly steps 6 and 7.

Step 6 tells you how to get a good Windows 7 iso and crate a DVD or flash drive to boot from if you don't have a Windows 7 DVD.
Step 7 tells you how to run Startup Repair 3 times. At the end of step 7 is a link to another thread that tells you how to use the bootrec command to manipulate the boot process. This may be what you need.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I think this is the answer you need; Can't login after trying to reboot in Safemode

Themkman

Themkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Put your hard drive back as it should be. Read here: Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Start, mainly steps 6 and 7.

Step 6 tells you how to get a good Windows 7 iso and crate a DVD or flash drive to boot from if you don't have a Windows 7 DVD.
Step 7 tells you how to run Startup Repair 3 times. At the end of step 7 is a link to another thread that tells you how to use the bootrec command to manipulate the boot process. This may be what you need.

Thanks a lot the bootrec commands fixed the problem, you're a life saver cheers

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Fantastic. Now if I'd only found that the first time I searched!!!!!

I'm adding the idea to my tips database.