Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC only boots in Safe Mode/Google Chrome continual popups [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK lets try a command line uninstall of IE9 and then install IE10 :)

OPen an elevated command prompt :

Go Start > All Programs > Accessories
Right click Command Prompt and select "Run as Administrator"
In the black box that opens copy and paste the entire command below into it pressing enter on completion :

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*9.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"

Note: During the run procedure, an error such as 0x80040005 or 0x80070005 might be reported. We can click "OK" to ignore it

Reboot on completion
Then install IE10

Advertisements

Cessna 210

Cessna 210

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I ran the command prompt. It was for IE10 but I was able to uninstall it. I am able to download it again from Microsoft, but part way through the installation, it pops up with an error saying it cannot finish installing. I rebooted and tried several more times but the same warning keeps appearing.

I guess by default, IE8 is on the computer. It seems to be working ok but even through that I was not able to update.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
How is the computer behaving at the moment ?

Ref IE10 is there a log at C:\windows\IE10_main.log

Cessna 210

Cessna 210

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I apologize for the delay it replying. The computer is running great with Google Chrome and IE8. I was not able to update IE8 to IE10. My mother-in-law was staying with us for that week but has now gone home and took her laptop with her. She was satisfied with the way it was running. Thank you for all your help. I am sorry that we could not get IE working exactly right but we are happy. Feel free to mark this problem as solved. Thank you again.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Shucks I don't get to give my tidy up spiel :rofl:

The main thing is though that she is happy

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.