Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop very slow to start up and to operate

• Please log in to reply

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
We need a full VISTA install ISO (equivalent of a CD). I think what we burned to the flash drive was just the cloning software, right?

Advertisements

rockitout

rockitout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I'm not sure. The instructions/link you gave me are right here:

http://www.geekstogo...ost__p__2339806

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
No, that's just the Recovery Environment. We'll have to wait unless you have or can borrow a full VISTA SP2 cd.

rockitout

rockitout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
ok. No, sorry I don't have access to one. On my computer do I have a recovery partition? Also, I think I might have recovery disks for that computer. Would that help? I have to locate them though.

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
I believe you have a recovery partition. Usually a recovery partition/CD can only be used for a clean install. With a full CD, we can do a repair install, just fixing the OS and not touching your programs and files.

What is the Model # of your computer?

rockitout

rockitout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I really don't care about any of my programs or files. I have backups. My model number is Acer Aspire 5515-5831

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
My colleague has offered to upload an .iso file that you can burn to CD or USB if you wish.

If you would rather go with a clean install, I would recommend the recovery disks rather than the recovery partition, just in case it got corrupted with the old hard drive. Do you have the license key for VISTA on a sticker on the laptop?

rockitout

rockitout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
At this point I would like to do a clean install. There is a product key on the bottom of the laptop. I understand using the recovery disks would be the better option.

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Ok. Are the discs from ACER or are they ones you made yourself?

rockitout

rockitout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
The disks were made by myself when I bought the laptop.

Advertisements

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. Somehow I missed the e-mail notification.

I have never actually used recovery disks myself, but I can give it a try on my test machine later today and let you know.

If you want to go ahead and try yourself, I believe you just set your BIOS to boot from CD, then insert the first CD and reboot. I read that it may give you an option to repair instead of format and reinstall, so if it does, I would try that first.

If you go ahead and try it, let me know how it goes. Posted Image

rockitout

rockitout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
OK, I reinstalled from the disks. It went well. I'm back to factory condition. All I had to do was put the disks it and boot from the DVD drive.

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Good. I figured it was pretty simple.

The reinstall probably brought back the free trial of the AV that came with the computer (probably Norton or McAfee). I highly recommend removing it and using the free AVAST. However, we need to make sure to completely get rid of the old one with the removal tool. If you tell me what you have, I can help.

Also, be sure to let all of the windows updates install, as the computer will be well behind on updates.

rockitout

rockitout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
OK. It took most of the day, but I have completed your latest instructions. Man, that was a lot of updates. :}

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Great. You might want to make a system image now in case of future problems.

If everything is okay with you, I think we can mark this as solved.