Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad Video Card on Old PC, What Can I Use Now? - Merged Topic.

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Sorry for the delay in you receiving a reply konakula29er

The specs are for comparison purposes and the speed that the hardware will function at (the CPU and Ram) will depend on whether they compliment each other, DDR2 667MHz in matching pairs will function at 1333MHz for example and this will then be compatible with a 1333MHz CPU such as the Q9650 which would be my selection on the list.

Please also keep in mind that the MBs BIOS will detect the Ram and CPU speeds and then adjust the settings accordingly, this is a form of auto overclock if you like.

All of the CPUs are good with the MB but the likes of the XEON chips are intended for servers and workstations etc

Thank you for the reply. So if I were to install a CPU FSB 1066MHz, then DDR2 533MHz RAM in matching pairs would be compatible, but DDR2 667MHz would not. If RAM doesn't match up with CPU FSB speed, does that create a bottleneck?
Also, it sounds like the important thing is to install a compatible CPU from the processor matching list and make sure the RAM compliments the CPU FSB. Even if the CPU FSB is faster than the MB FSB, the MB bios will make the proper adjustment so all three (MB, CPU and RAM) work together?
Lastly, I have decided to forgo the build with the Intel DP35DP. LGA775 seems a bit dated and I'm finding that the improvements over what I have now is not that great.
I am planning to proceed with the following build as I believe the improvement will be much better:

Motherboard - LGA 1155 Intel DZ68BC
CPU - Intel Sandy Bridge/2nd Gen i7-2700k 3.50GHz 8MB/cache (there is no FSB listed)
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 PC3 12800 2x4GB
PSU - EVGA 600 B 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified 600W
HDD - HDD - Seagate ST31000524AS Barracuda Hard Drive - 1TB, SATA 6Gbps, 7200 RPM, 32MB
OS - Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

I am not purchasing a GPU. The CPU I plan to install supports Intel HD Graphics and I have heard the onboard graphics is pretty good for our purposes. If my PC use changes down the road and I need a GPU, then I will research and find a good one.

Many thanks :)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,782 posts

Thank you for the reply. So if I were to install a CPU FSB 1066MHz, then DDR2 533MHz RAM in matching pairs would be compatible, but DDR2 667MHz would not. If RAM doesn't match up with CPU FSB speed, does that create a bottleneck?

You are welcome :thumbsup:

Faster Ram would be clocked backwards by the MB so that it was working at the appropriate speed, this in essence would not cause a bottleneck as the Ram would be operating at a speed comparable to that of the CPU, if you had a much faster CPU and Ram that was a lot slower then that would cause a bottleneck as the CPU would be waiting for the Ram to catch up.

CPU - Intel Sandy Bridge/2nd Gen i7-2700k 3.50GHz 8MB/cache (there is no FSB listed)
HDD - HDD - Seagate ST31000524AS Barracuda Hard Drive - 1TB, SATA 6Gbps, 7200 RPM, 32MB

It depends on what the cost of the above components is - are the components all new or used.

NB: It would be a better build option BTW but certain items could be changed to improve performance and save some cash at the same time.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

It depends on what the cost of the above components is - are the components all new or used.

NB: It would be a better build option BTW but certain items could be changed to improve performance and save some cash at the same time.

The components are a mix of new and used. Of the hardware I listed above, I already have the DZ68BC Motherboard (used, but very lightly and in excellent condition) and the EVGA 600W PSU (new). I've yet to purchase the remaining components. I have been browsing local classifieds and eBay - particularly for the CPU and RAM. I picked the Intel Sandy Bridge/2nd Gen i7-2700k as I have read several reviews, Newegg posts, indicating that Ivy Bridge/3rd Gen processors had some problems with this board. The i7-2700k seemed like the best CPU I could get and keep the PC build simple. The guy I bought the MB from ran a i7-2700k and was very pleased with it.
I planned to purchase the HDD and OS brand new. Could actually do with a smaller HDD, 300-500GB would be fine. Other than that, if there are recommendations you would make for components that would improve performance and save some $$, please let me know.
Thanks.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Gday.

If you can find that bit extra, your whole system would be better with a new case, this is very good. > http://www.newegg.co...=1N8-001K-00002

Thanks for the computer case recommendation iammykyl. I've looked at your link and really like the way this case is designed. Specifically, the front ports; 2 x USB 3.0, 2 x USB 2.0, Audio In/Out and Fan Controller. The build I am doing is for my wife. I have posted the build here. She liked everything about the case except the military design. Might there be a similar case you would recommend that provides the same front ports, but is a more simple/traditional design? I have looked at cases on Newegg's site, but have yet to find anything that offers similar port variety.
One additional question I have has to do with USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports. The case you recommended has both, but isn't USB 3.0 backwards compatible? If that's the case, do I really need a case with USB 2.0?
I do like this case http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811119271

Edited by konakula29er, 30 September 2013 - 10:12 AM.

nic777

nic777

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
While iamm has not yet responded, perhaps an NZXT Source 210 Elite case would be a good suggestion. It is sleek and space accommodating. One usb 3.0 and one usb 2.0 - not sure why you would have any more than that many on the front. Anything more than a thumb drive, camera, or storage device should be plugged in the motherboard directly.

USB 3.0 reads any USB device.

USB 2.0 reads USB 3.0 but does not offer the performance of 3.0

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

While iamm has not yet responded, perhaps an NZXT Source 210 Elite case would be a good suggestion. It is sleek and space accommodating. One usb 3.0 and one usb 2.0 - not sure why you would have any more than that many on the front. Anything more than a thumb drive, camera, or storage device should be plugged in the motherboard directly.

USB 3.0 reads any USB device.

USB 2.0 reads USB 3.0 but does not offer the performance of 3.0

Thank you for the explanation re: USB 3.0
I appreciate your recommendation for the NZXT case. That looks like it will do the job.

nic777

nic777

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Sure thing. The Source 210 (one step back) comes in the sleek black or a white if I remember right. I've built a few with the black 210, it has a really elegant look with the front panel, that is a personal preference of course, but the front bezel piece has a sexy brushed metal look. :thumbsup:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday konakula29e.
Re. The questions regarding the case.
In this older topic we are up to considering the NZXT.
In your new Topic, here. you are indicating using your old case.
Are you planning 2 different builds? or will question here be applicable to the new build Topic?

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Sure thing. The Source 210 (one step back) comes in the sleek black or a white if I remember right. I've built a few with the black 210, it has a really elegant look with the front panel, that is a personal preference of course, but the front bezel piece has a sexy brushed metal look. :thumbsup:

Just ordered it, thanks :thumbsup:

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Gday konakula29e.
Re. The questions regarding the case.
In this older topic we are up to considering the NZXT.
In your new Topic, here. you are indicating using your old case.
Are you planning 2 different builds? or will question here be applicable to the new build Topic?

That is correct and thank you for reminding me about that. Initially, I was trying to stay under a certain dollar amount, but that has changed for two reasons, 1) I realized that the investment I was planning to make in an LGA 775 system was too much for the return, and the improvement on the PC I wanted to upgrade wasn't as significant as I first thought. 2) The excitement of the build and all I'm learning creates a financial lapse in judgement that is addicting. So, in other words, I tossed my original budget out the window and wanted more, more, MORE.
Actually, I realized the front panel of the old PC case didn't even have any front ports. There were a few other defects as well that I hadn't seen until I really got to looking at it.
I will edit that post right away. Also, I will post a question there about CPUs, if you guys don't mind taking a look at it that would be great.

Advertisements

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Just a quick question about CPUs. I have been looking on eBay for an Intel i7-2700k 3.50GHz 8MB/cache. Seems like I can pick one up for $200-$250. On the other hand, there's the Intel i5-2500k 3.30GHz 6MB/cache that I can probably buy for $150-$175, so lets say a $50 difference on average. I have compared the two using http://www.cpu-world...7_i7-2700K.html and at first glance, it seems like the i7-2700k isn't worth the extra $50 over the i5-2500k. The graph differences between the two CPUs seems negligible. Seems like the main difference between the two is hyperthreading. I would like to save a few dollars wherever I can. Thoughts?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Thanks for the clarification.
I have asked Phillpower2 about merging all, or part of this post into your new topic to prevent confusion.
Buying computer parts reminds me of going for a new car headlamp bulb, coming out with a set of new fog lamps and I forgot to get the new bulb. Soooo easy to get distracted. But I think you have made the right decision.
Will have a look at you other topic.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Gday.
Thanks for the clarification.
I have asked Phillpower2 about merging all, or part of this post into your new topic to prevent confusion.
Buying computer parts reminds me of going for a new car headlamp bulb, coming out with a set of new fog lamps and I forgot to get the new bulb. Soooo easy to get distracted. But I think you have made the right decision.
Will have a look at you other topic.

Good to hear. I'll make sure to keep my build posts on the other thread. Thanks.

nic777

nic777

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Just a quick question about CPUs. I have been looking on eBay for an Intel i7-2700k 3.50GHz 8MB/cache. Seems like I can pick one up for $200-$250. On the other hand, there's the Intel i5-2500k 3.30GHz 6MB/cache that I can probably buy for $150-$175, so lets say a $50 difference on average. I have compared the two using http://www.cpu-world...7_i7-2700K.html and at first glance, it seems like the i7-2700k isn't worth the extra $50 over the i5-2500k. The graph differences between the two CPUs seems negligible. Seems like the main difference between the two is hyperthreading. I would like to save a few dollars wherever I can. Thoughts?

Just now checking out this post.

In my experience, the difference between i5 and i7 is fairly negligible in terms of daily use. If you plan on doing some hardcore video rendering or processing there will be a difference worth the price. An i5-2500k build would be fine. If you are considering gaming down the road, the GPU will make more difference rather than i5 vs i7.

Look up some benchmarks on Tom's Hardware with these differences in components. They run a lot of benchmark programs to test each unique computer component.

Edited by nic777, 30 September 2013 - 09:16 PM.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

In my experience, the difference between i5 and i7 is fairly negligible in terms of daily use. If you plan on doing some hardcore video rendering or processing there will be a difference worth the price. An i5-2500k build would be fine. If you are considering gaming down the road, the GPU will make more difference rather than i5 vs i7.

Look up some benchmarks on Tom's Hardware with these differences in components. They run a lot of benchmark programs to test each unique computer component.

Awesome, glad to see I'm on the right track. Keeping my eye out on eBay for the right deal. Hope to have made my purchase by the end of the week. Thanks for the reply.