Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
When the result comes up for windows update, I would leave ticked all the critical updates but look carefully on the very bottom of the screen, there may be things there you are not going to use or need. I untick, click the + and then hide.

Advertisements

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Well the 2nd pass came back as needed to make sure my XP is genuine but I did activate it when it booted up and 1st started. Unless windows update checks that as well often. I went threw the prompts for genuine and rerunning update now.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
The genuine thing goes threw but update still says it needs to be checked for genuine.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

The genuine thing goes threw but update still says it needs to be checked for genuine.

If you are getting updates successfullly instlled I would ignore it.

Are you using IE 8? or Chrome with the IE tab?
Are you getting any crashes?

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
No it keeps saying that it needs to be genuine and no other updates are coming. Even tried getting window OS to running update and still same result. I haven't used IE tab since I don't need to so yes using IE8.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Well finally went with I believe express its installing the security updates now.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Did you Activate windows?

Try running the diagnostic on this site, > http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

Edit,
Sorry, posted without refrshing.
Let it finish, see what happens, Don't run the diagnosis tool till we see what happens.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
All security updates out of that batch downloaded and install. It prompted me that it wanted to restart I hit the button for that. It's now been like 30mins or so that I've waited for it to reboot. The mouse and keyboard are responsive but no menus works whether its start menu or right click menu or alt ctrl del menu. In either case it might be like the update via taking forever to some degree. I can leave it over night and see.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

It prompted me that it wanted to restart I hit the button for that.

If the prompt asked with a yes and no on screen box, or, just an OK box, you should use the mouse then click. If you use a physical button, the update/install may fail.

Yes, Leave it running and see what happens.

dave_e_84

dave_e_84

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Just a tip: I think it's best to use the drivers that came with your motherboard on CD (if possible), or from the motherboard website. Drivers are very sensitive pieces of software; best to keep known-working sets of them together (as the motherboard manufacturer does). Your problems do seem however to be specifically related to hard disk and optical drive, as page faults can also be due to virtual memory, not just the physical RAM. I'm thinking an issue perhaps with the cable connection or perhaps even electrical interference. Be sure to have the optical drive connected to the top connector on the cable, not the middle one (the electrical signals can bounce off the top connector if not used, making it like an antenna). Also be sure to keep the SATA cable away from other components. The final thing you could check is your power supply; both the optical drive and the hard drive need steady voltage otherwise random, intermittent errors can occur. You can test them using a multimeter. Just some thoughts.

Advertisements

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

It prompted me that it wanted to restart I hit the button for that.

If the prompt asked with a yes and noon screen box, or, just an OK box, you should use the mouse then click. If you use a physical button, the update/install may fail.

Yes, Leave it running and see what happens.

As of this morning no change still didn't reboot but keyboard is active and so is mouse but nothing responds beyond what I stated above. I will read the 2nd post by the new person to thread when I get home.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
As of right now its still stuck where it was and no hard drive activity.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Then I would do a restart, via screen if possible. wait for an hour to see if you get any shield in the notification area, if not, go to Windows Update and do another Custom scan, then install critical updates if any show.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Well nothing is clickable so only way to restart is hard power down.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
OK, Go.