Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
http://stage.results...t/321707304.png

I don't know what I really should be having I have standard Roadrunner from Timewarner.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is probably the low end of a cable internet connection.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Gotcha

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
According to Time Warners site HERE your speed would be under the standard package.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
ok I hear ya

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So now that we have found you are running at the right speed I would suspect a clean up is needed on the browser.
Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Background info courtesy of DonnaB Thank you

As for TFC, this is a tidbit of an article I found a while back by a MicroSoft MVP.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running applications. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.
-- TFC only cleans temp folders.
-- TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Ok done btw is there a log file for that session because I wasn't able to easily read how big the temp files folders were that it cleared.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't believe a log file is generated with TFC. While it runs it tells you but sometimes it does go by real quickly. Did it help with the performance of the browser and\or the system?

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Seems alittle better. Ya when it was running I couldn't recall if it was in bytes or what if it was bytes I believe one of the folder / file was 5 gigs then. But I know my browser ones get cleared a few times a day. The other ones atleast weekly but must be a few hidden ones.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Any more BSOD's?

Advertisements

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Currently none. But I will still keep those programs and the temp file on since it seems to help out decently well.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would suggest for awhile doing the TFC at least once a week to keep everything clean. For now please let us know in a couple of days how everything is running and if no more BSOD's we will consider this resolved. :thumbsup:

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Ok will do I will check back in a few days.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Had BSOD today and odd thing is browser was not open it was open like 2-5 mins before the BSOD I was checking a game called League Of Legends and it BSOD. I never had it BSOD during it. Also unless I read the BSOD wrong before this time it stated "Page fault in nonpaged area" Which I don't think the last few were. Here is log for whocrash and bluescreen viewer I put it in one log file. This one happed today 10-9 last BSOD was 10-1.

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.txt   5.56KB   415 downloads

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

Yep this one is different for sure and possibility it is memory, software or Av problem so I'm going to start with the most obvious on this now.

A If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). If you prefer to use the USB version then use this link USB KEY
2. Unzip downloaded /memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find /memtest86+-4.20.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-4.20.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.