Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

future of amd sockets?

• Please log in to reply

fat sal

fat sal

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
so i'm in the process of buying pieces for a new pc. when i say in the process, i mean it's going to take about a year because i have financial needs elsewhere, so because of this long pc building process i want to make sure i buy the right stuff.

Does anyone know what the newest and most widely used amd socket is (for 64 bit processors)... or what will be in 6-12 months? I'm guessing 939 but i may very well be wrong.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
939 will be the standard socket for quite a while i would think as its the same socket used for the new X2. Its also a pretty new standard itself.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
if its going to be a long period of buying parts before you get to a point of turning the new baby on, it might be better to wait on purchases. with the constant march of computer technology, what you buy today will cost a lot less in 6 months.

fat sal

fat sal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
then new stuff will be out anyways that's better quality and costs the same as the good stuff does now...

i do understand your logic though... but im not a patient man

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
lol, you seem to be showing a good amount of patience with your schedule to acquire parts!

you might want to consider getting a motherboard with onboard video (onboard audio is pretty standard these days), so you can get the system running sooner, and then add components when you have the cash for them. again, your dollar will stretch alot farther in a month, or two, or six.

as an example, a video card I bought 2 months ago now sells for $100-150 less. same card, a lot less money. just offering a different way to look at it.

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Yeah, I would definately wait on buying the parts now, if it's going to be that long.

Set aside the same amount of money you would to buy the parts and just save it till you can buy them all at the same time, and get it all cheaper.

I'm in a situation similar, although it will only take 1-2 more months to afford the rest of my parts.

standard235

standard235

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Exactly. AND. If you want to, you could use the money you save to go a step up on some of the components. Or, you could just spend it on frills like neon lighting and a killer case.

Edited by standard235, 12 June 2005 - 09:14 PM.