Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 8 and website audio file

• Please log in to reply

JohnGo

JohnGo

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
My 6 month old dell laptop (no visible model #) is running win 8.

When I try to open an audio file on a website, it starts to download instead of playing from the site. Is there a setting, etc. that can be changed to make it play from the site instead of d'loading first?

I did not have this problem with my old computer.

Thanks for advice.
JohnGo

Advertisements

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
What browser are you using? That plays a big key to this, not so much the OS. You can try resetting your IE settings though, be following the step below.
STEP ONE: IE Reset
  • Now open your Start Menu and go into your Control Panel [list]
  • Once in your Control Panel go to Internet Options (might want to make the 'View by:' set to small)
  • In this window, please go to the Advanced tab.
  • On this tab, let's click the following; Reset...
  • Don't check the box on the next page, then click 'Reset' at the bottom
  • Once this little window (Reset Internet Explorer Settings) puts check boxes next to all 3 items, click 'Close'
  • This will exit the Internet Options, please reopen it via Control Panel
  • Let's verify a few settings, listed below; [list]
  • Go to the tab 'Connections' and click on 'LAN Settings'. Unless using a proxy, verify 'Automatically detect settings' checkbox is checked and nothing else is entered.
  • Go back to the 'General' tab now and in the 'Browsing History' select 'Delete' and then check all the boxes except 'Form Data' and 'Passwords'. Then hit 'Delete' at the bottom. Give this a minute to run.
  • Make sure to also set the 'Homepage' to a known page (www.Google.com for instance) while on the 'General' tab.
  • Now close and restart your Internet Explorer. Does issue persist?

Anyway post back and I or another member will be sure to help you more.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Sorry I forgot to mention IE browser. I went through the steps and when I click on a link on the website, a little popup at the bottom of screen asks if I want open or save.. I click on open and it still downloads.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Well to OPEN something, you have to have a local copy of it. All OPEN really means is STORE IN TEMP FILES, ONCE DOWNLOAD COMPLETE, OPEN FILE WITH DEFAULT PROGRAM FOR THE FILE EXTENSION.

Save it, then let me know what extension it is (Example.mp3). Then double click on it, what does it do?

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Ok. It's an mp3 file. (1) I click on the link in the website.

(2) The first time I tried, I directed the file to "save as" in DOCUMENTS. When I click on the file in that location a pop-up tells me that I need an app update. The update runs about 2/3 to finish and then freezes.

(3) I go back to step 1. This time, when I click "save as", it begins to download and then stops about 1/3 the way into the download and gives me the app message again.

(4) Until recently the download would finish and finally play when I clicked "open" instead of "save as".

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Do you have any fully downloaded MP3's? If so, try to open them. I think you may have a improper application handling your MP3's. I may suggest switching that to something like AIMP3 (my preference).

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I loaded a .mp3 music file and tried to play it. It gave the same message as before about needing to update several apps of which "music" was one of them. I let it update and everything went fine except the "music" d'load hung up again. I kept trying until it finally updated.

It will now play the mp3 file fine and will d'load the audio file from the website in about 1/3 the time as before. I think it is ok now. Thanks for your advice.

JohnGo

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Not a problem, I'm not sure if the 1/3 is from the site or not, but from the sounds they have some auto-initiate script that may be involved in this issue you describe. Post back if it does it again or if we can help further.