Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need some new bits

• Please log in to reply

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
From what i just read i would need to get an 'Equivalent' motherboard in order to use my existing windows.

However Motherboards often run out of supply stock well before warranties expire and faulty boards require replacing. This is from Microsoft.

"Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required.

If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty."

So i would have to hope they are going to play ball nicely.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
I would contact Microsoft before making any purchase as they will most likely afford you the same good will gesture and wave the MB brand reference.

A site that you can tweak products and stick with ASRock if you wish http://www.powerc.co...n68-am-plus-bnd

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
I am assuming my vid card is busted too, i wouldn't mind this one http://www.amazon.co...82271511&sr=1-3

Just wondering about the PSU. I saw someone say 550watts would be minimum. Seeing as i have 600w i guess i would be pushing the PSU? Really don't want to have to get a new PSU as well. But i do like a nice video card.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Been trying to compare the AMD X2 270 3.4GHz Dual Core processor against my phenom, that link you gave me to the ASRock bundle seems a good price.

Less power consumption i think anyway.

This seems to be as good if not better than my old one... http://www.bit-tech....850-1gb-review/

Saw this too... http://www.ebay.co.u...l-/140988268975

Don't know whether 6 core is a bit ott and i would have to bung £30 on top for RAM. But price wise this and the bundle from Amazon i posted are pretty much the same.

Edited by Sking0, 20 October 2013 - 10:06 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

I am assuming my vid card is busted too, i wouldn't mind this one http://www.amazon.co...82271511&sr=1-3
Good card for the price just a pity that it is only 128-bit :(

Just wondering about the PSU. I saw someone say 550watts would be minimum. Seeing as i have 600w i guess i would be pushing the PSU? Really don't want to have to get a new PSU as well. But i do like a nice video card.

I get 400W, seeHere

Been trying to compare the AMD X2 270 3.4GHz Dual Core processor against my phenom, that link you gave me to the ASRock bundle seems a good price.

Less power consumption i think anyway.
That was only an example that I provided and going for a quad core would be my suggestion as you will be ready for the more demanding games of the future.

Tip
If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
I just rang Microsoft and they told me i need to install the new motherboard then give them a ring, he said i won't have to buy a new license.
I would like to go with this http://www.ebay.co.u...l-/140988268975 if that is possible and this http://www.bit-tech....850-1gb-review/

I went to some site called partpicker just now and it told me they were compatible. I am going to have the PSU tested tomorrow.
Can you think of any reason that this would not be a good choice?

Edited by Sking0, 21 October 2013 - 01:50 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
The bundle is a good buy but one thing that I note is that the MB is the mATX size which can sometimes be a bit tight for space, please see my canned text below;

Please note that before purchasing an add on video card that the following must be considered;
Is the present PSU (power supply unit) powerful enough or will it also need upgrading. Your PSU is fine :thumbsup:
What type of case do you have, full tower, mid tower or SFF (small form factor) this is important as you must make sure that there is enough room inside the case for the upgrade/s, upgrading a SFF type system can be difficult as they often use propriety components such as smaller and differing shape PSUs and they only have enough room inside the case for a low profile type add on card.

Will your case accommodate a mATX sized MB - are there stand off mounting threads available for a smaller MB as the present ASRock MB is the larger ATX size and so will have additional stand offs present, some may need to be removed to avoid shorting out the new MB.

GPU

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
My tower size is 430mm(h) x 180mm(w) x 470mm(d).
I am presuming that form factor is board size here? ATX Form Factor: 12.0-in x 8.4-in, 30.5 cm x 21.3 cm. This is my old MB.
The new one is Form Factor Width 24.4 cm Length 24.4 cm.

Edited by Sking0, 22 October 2013 - 09:40 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
Where the MB and case are concerned it is not about the size of your case but the location of the stand offs that the MB fixes to.

Check out the attachment below which shows where the screw holes are in the proposed new MB, compare them with the stand offs in your case.

Good news on the OS BTW, as I said Microsoft are in my opinion very fair with genuine people.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Looks pretty much the same.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
All good then :thumbsup:

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
There was one thing. I am not sure if the vid card is busted. I tried it in my daughters pc and she got the 'No video Signal' message, so i am assuming it is busted. When i get this set up would it be a bad idea to put it in the new MB and see if it is definitely gone or could that do some damage in some way?
I am ordering a new card anyway and if i could get a few £'s for the old one that would kind of cushion the blow.
Apart from that, Thanks for the advice. Learned a lot in the past few days. Probably be back with some tech issue or other on the 'replacements' ;)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
I would not risk trying the card in the new MB, possible causes of the cards failure may include it shorting or being shorted out and if that is the case it could ruin the new MB + the CPU and Ram etc

You are welcome BTW and please feel free to ask as many questions as you feel that you need to :thumbsup:

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Do you know if there is any way to test/check that Video card? It is a good card and i would hate to bin it never knowing if it was faulty or not. I am pretty sure it is but there is a small element of doubt lurking.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
Sorry but other than trying the card in another computer which you have done I know of no other way, see if a local tech store will test it for you, some will do this for free, some will charge a fee and some will not test it in case it damages their computer.