Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DNS

• Please log in to reply

manuele

manuele

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I setup a SBS 2011 server which hosting a virtual server (server 2008 r2). My problem is, I can ping the IP address of the virtual server from the host server but not the FQDN. From the virtual server, I can ping both the IP and FQDN of the host server...
any help will be much appreciated...

The host server is set to use external DNS and the virtual server is set to use the server (IP) as DNS

Advertisements

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
That's what DNS is for. If you have it pointed to an external DNS, that external DNS would not know what IP address corresponds to that FQDN

manuele

manuele

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks for your prompt reply. How would you suggest I setup? could I use external DNS as primary and internal DNS as a secondary on my host DNS settings?

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Why use external at all? You point the host to the sbs server for DNS and make sure to configure DNS forwarders on the sbs server. If the sbs server is the host it should be pointing to itself for DNS. Make sure to google "DNS forwarding"

puppet9999

puppet9999

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
NeonFX is right. Configure the SBS server to use itself for DNS .
You did not mention if the VM is a member of the domain - I will assume it is however.
The entry in the SBS server's ip configuration for DNS servers should have 127.0.0.1 - that's it.
Forwarders should be configured in DNS (DNS is sunning on SBS - go to administrative tools and use the DNS applet) . If your internal domain matches a public domain and you need to connect to hosts outside of the internal network, a web server for example, then add A Host records in your local DNS server for those public servers with public IP addresses. It is best not to use the same domain name on a local internal network that matches the public domain for your organization. company.com is fine for the Internet , company.local is good for local internal network domain name. If the public matches the private, don't try to change it now (it is changeable but will open a new set of problems) - just be cognizant of this and add host A records for public servers. All internal computers should use internal DNS servers for resolution. The forwarders on the DNS server adds the "smarts" to look outside of the local DNS when needed.