Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 - Is This Legit?

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
OK, I have always wondered about online classified ads selling Windows 7 OS and the legitimacy of them. Quite often, the software is brand new and sold at a price lower than what you generally find with online sellers like Newegg, Amazon, etc. Here are some examples of classified ads I found this evening...

http://www.ksl.com/i...dows 7&ad_cid=3

http://www.ksl.com/i...dows 7&ad_cid=4

There are similar ads on this same website and there are a lot of them at any given time. Are these sellers legit, is the OS software legit, or if I were to purchase from them, am I buying an illegal/pirated product? It's hard to tell!

Edited by Webslinger64, 27 October 2013 - 10:23 PM.

Advertisements

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Honestly, we can't answer this. It's classifieds, meaning anyone can post them and with any legitimacy. Most of those though, are where they copy down keys from the local shop they work at or off display machines at stores and then go home and post. Or they install that OS somewhere but keep the discs, then sell them. Granted some are legitimate though, and have NEVER been used... But more often than not they are not legitimate.

There is my 2 cents, sorry I can't be more precise.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Honestly, we can't answer this. It's classifieds, meaning anyone can post them and with any legitimacy. Most of those though, are where they copy down keys from the local shop they work at or off display machines at stores and then go home and post. Or they install that OS somewhere but keep the discs, then sell them. Granted some are legitimate though, and have NEVER been used... But more often than not they are not legitimate.

There is my 2 cents, sorry I can't be more precise.

Thank you for the reply. Your explanation helped a great deal.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Not a problem. Wish I had a more YES/NO type of answer for you. I actually just got hit with a fake serial on a friends machine who purchased his OS from a local classifieds.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Not a problem. Wish I had a more YES/NO type of answer for you. I actually just got hit with a fake serial on a friends machine who purchased his OS from a local classifieds.

Well that says it all right there. Can't be too careful. Most of the ads I've seen are suspect as well.