Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple Computer Issues, Working On Safe Mode & Even Then! :(

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Supposedly this is caused by a bad USB device. Found this on the problem:

Okay, I've found the problem. It's really very simple. The Nvidia installation program gives you the error when Windows' hardware management is busy. Check your device manager to see if it was "hiccuping" like mine (appears to refresh over and over). This *can* be caused by any faulty or damaged hardware, but it is *most likely* (and was in my case) caused by one of the USB devices. Unplug your USB devices one by one and watch the device manager for a few seconds to see if it stops hiccuping. (For me it was an auxiliary USB data cable for my new monitor.) When you plug it back in, if there is nothing wrong with the hardware, Windows should recognize and install the USB device. (Lesson learned: don't power off the monitor while the computer is on.) You should also see your processor activity go back down and your Battlefield game should run like it's supposed to (great game!)What I still don't understand is why the problem doesn't get recognized/fixed upon reboot! I guess that's USB for you.

To check the Device manager, right click on Computer and select Manage then Device Manager.

Advertisements

ThanksGeeksForHelping

ThanksGeeksForHelping

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi Ron (RKinner) :)

Just wanted you to know I work long hours on the weekend. So my replies will be slower on the weekends. I will be back later with a report. My computer took a long time to do the drivers thing. I still have to do a few things. Just wanted to give you a heads up about the weekends.

Thanks for your help Ron!

ThanksGeeksForHelping

ThanksGeeksForHelping

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Ron! I have a few questions. So I'm not going to do the "Speccy" and "Process Explorer" steps any more right?

So I go straight to this? Right! Truth be told I'm nervous on this one because it might disable the computer.

Conference is over and I am back home now. Did you try the msconfig?

Try installing your driver in regular mode. Sometimes the installer will not work in Safe Mode.

While in regular mode, uninstall TunnelBear

ComboFix

:!: It must be saved to your desktop, do not run it from your browser:!:

:!: Disable your Antivirus software when downloading or running Combofix. If it has Script Blocking features, please disable these as well. See: http://www.bleepingc...opic114351.html

Download and Save this file -- to your Desktop -- from either of these two sources:
http://download.blee...Bs/ComboFix.exe
http://subs.geekstogo.com/ComboFix.exe

Rightclick on ComboFix and select Run As Administrator to start the program.

* :!: Important: Have no other programs running. Your Task Bar should be clear of any program entries including your Browser.

* A window may open with a series of Disclaimers. Accept the Disclaimers to start the fix.

Do not touch your mouse/keyboard until the scan has completed, as this may cause the process to stall or your computer to lock. The scan will temporarily disable your desktop, and if interrupted may leave your desktop disabled. If this occurs, please reboot to restore the desktop. Even when ComboFix appears to be doing nothing, look at your Drive light. If it is flashing, Combofix is still at work.

A file will be created at => C:\Combofix\Combofix.txt. I'll need to see that in your reply.

Download TDSSKiller:
http://support.kaspe.../tdsskiller.exe
Save it to your desktop then run it by right clicking and Run As Admin.
before you hit the Scan hit Change Parameters and check the two items under Additional Options. OK then Scan.

If TDSSKiller alerts you that the system needs to reboot, please consent.

In this mode it is prone to false positives so do not change the SKIP option to DELETE unless it says TDSS.
When done, a log file should be created on your C: drive named "TDSSKiller.txt" please copy and paste the contents in your next reply.

And I don't think this step below works.

See if you can install this

http://www.techspot....ft-windows.html

It doesn't look like you got the update. We are still getting the error. Once you downloaded the file did you install it?

Anyways, good news is I'm in regular mode and I can access the internet and microsoft security essentials is working too. I uninstalled tunnelbear and malware bites. When I did the drivers NVIDIA thing I enabled "Windows Installer" from the msconfig thing and the install seemed to run smoothly, hopefully it stays that way. Then I did msconfig an enabled everything and rebooted. It took a while, but a bit quicker than before, I updated the microsoft security essentials so it appears the computer is protected. The computer is a bit more quicker to reboot like I said. But it still takes long in comparison to a "normal" and "healthy" computer. Give me instructions on what I should do next.

Thanks again Ron! My roommate and I appreciate it. Pretend that we treated you to your favorite meal. :)

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
No problem with delays. Sounds like we are making progress.

Let's run Process Explorer and see if there is anything hogging the CPU:

Get Process Explorer

http://live.sysinter...com/procexp.exe
Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7 - right click and Run As Administrator).

View, Select Column, check Verified Signer, OK
Options, Verify Image Signatures

Click twice on the CPU column header to sort things by CPU usage with the big hitters at the top.

Wait a full minute then:

File, Save As, Save. Open the file Procexp.txt on your desktop and copy and paste the text to a reply.

ThanksGeeksForHelping

ThanksGeeksForHelping

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi Ron (RKinner) :) :waves:

Hope I did it right. So here's the "System Idle Process.txt" log.

Process CPU Private Bytes Working Set PID Description Company Name Verified Signer
31.0.1650.57_30.0.1599.101_chrome_updater.exe 1,600 K 1,880 K 4252 Google Chrome Google Inc. (Verified) Google Inc
armsvc.exe 2,468 K 4,840 K 3000 Adobe Acrobat Update Service Adobe Systems Incorporated (Verified) Adobe Systems
audiodg.exe 16,608 K 19,952 K 2712 Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
Dropbox.exe 67,876 K 78,152 K 884 Dropbox Dropbox, Inc. (Verified) Dropbox
dwm.exe 1,704 K 5,388 K 264 Desktop Window Manager Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
ehmsas.exe 1,624 K 4,992 K 2276 Media Center Media Status Aggregator Service Microsoft Corporation Verifying...
ehtray.exe 2,688 K 3,452 K 1788 Media Center Tray Applet Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
FABS.exe 2,280 K 6,320 K 924 Verzeichnisüberwachung und Hilfsaufgaben für die Medienbibliothek MAGIX AG (No signature was present in the subject) MAGIX AG
GoogleUpdate.exe 4,656 K 3,484 K 1740 Google Installer Google Inc. (Verified) Google Inc
HPHC_Service.exe 22,620 K 14,724 K 4108 HP Health Check Service Hewlett-Packard (No signature was present in the subject) Hewlett-Packard
ISUSPM.exe 2,460 K 6,552 K 1776 Macrovision Software Manager Macrovision Corporation (Verified) Acresso Software Inc.
kbd.exe 9,896 K 9,036 K 668 KBD EXE Hewlett-Packard Company Verifying...
lsm.exe 3,244 K 5,532 K 3732 Local Session Manager Service Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
LSSrvc.exe 1,500 K 5,108 K 1060 LightScribe Service Hewlett-Packard Company (No signature was present in the subject) Hewlett-Packard Company
LVPrcSrv.exe 2,800 K 6,868 K 1572 Logitech LVPrcSrv Module. Logitech Inc. (Verified) Logitech Inc
LVPrS64H.exe 1,548 K 5,236 K 2044 Logitech LVPrS64H Module. Logitech Inc. (Verified) Logitech Inc
mDNSResponder.exe 2,252 K 5,760 K 1908 Bonjour Service Apple Inc. (Verified) Apple Inc.
msseces.exe 9,392 K 17,996 K 1596 Microsoft Security Client User Interface Microsoft Corporation Verifying...
NisSrv.exe 11,456 K 3,404 K 568 Microsoft Network Inspection System Microsoft Corporation (Verified) Microsoft Corporation
nSvcAppFlt.exe 2,636 K 6,860 K 1488 app_filter Module (Verified) NVIDIA Corporation
nSvcIp.exe 5,532 K 9,184 K 732 NVIDIA Corporation (Verified) NVIDIA Corporation
nvvsvc.exe 1,560 K 3,588 K 3972 NVIDIA Driver Helper Service, Version 175.21 NVIDIA Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) NVIDIA Corporation
OnlineBackup.UpdateSystemTray.exe 35,248 K 39,220 K 288 UpdateSystemTray (No signature was present in the subject)
procexp.exe 4,204 K 8,288 K 4716 Sysinternals Process Explorer Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com Verifying...
RAVCpl64.exe 9,872 K 9,836 K 1584 HD Audio Control Panel Realtek Semiconductor (No signature was present in the subject) Realtek Semiconductor
realsched.exe 2,204 K 548 K 944 RealNetworks Scheduler RealNetworks, Inc. (Verified) RealNetworks
rndlresolversvc.exe 1,364 K 4,588 K 2828 (Verified) RealNetworks
rundll32.exe 3,388 K 5,904 K 1656 Windows host process (Rundll32) Microsoft Corporation Verifying...
scsiaccess.exe 820 K 2,724 K 2924 (Verified) Photodex Corporation
SeaPort.EXE 5,528 K 10,032 K 3808 Microsoft SeaPort Search Enhancement Broker Microsoft Corporation (Verified) Microsoft Corporation
services.exe 3,616 K 8,684 K 3684 Services and Controller app Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
SLsvc.exe 8,840 K 13,976 K 2868 Microsoft Software Licensing Service Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
smss.exe 516 K 1,036 K 3500 Windows Session Manager Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
SSScheduler.exe 1,940 K 4,228 K 1944 McAfee Security Scanner Scheduler McAfee, Inc. (Verified) McAfee
svchost.exe 3,084 K 7,028 K 2096 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 5,772 K 8,768 K 1176 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 2,676 K 8,920 K 5108 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 4,384 K 8,412 K 3900 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation Verifying...
svchost.exe 2,908 K 6,548 K 2784 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 2,436 K 5,616 K 3100 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation Verifying...
svchost.exe 4,080 K 8,688 K 3876 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 22,084 K 27,332 K 2280 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 5,960 K 10,088 K 4008 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 26,400 K 35,484 K 4148 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation Verifying...
taskeng.exe 2,832 K 7,304 K 5004 Task Scheduler Engine Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
taskeng.exe 10,860 K 13,020 K 552 Task Scheduler Engine Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
vewatch.exe 26,616 K 17,684 K 472 Vault Explorer Cache Watcher DigiData Corp. (No signature was present in the subject) DigiData Corp.
VSSVC.exe 11,296 K 17,156 K 3152 Microsoft® Volume Shadow Copy Service Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
WerFault.exe 6,632 K 11,516 K 2400 Windows Problem Reporting Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
wininit.exe 1,824 K 5,284 K 3616 Windows Start-Up Application Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
winlogon.exe 2,644 K 6,760 K 3692 Windows Logon Application Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
WLIDSVC.EXE 9,436 K 16,288 K 2652 Microsoft® Windows Live ID Service Microsoft Corp. (Verified) Microsoft Corporation
WLIDSVCM.EXE 1,676 K 3,876 K 1468 Microsoft® Windows Live ID Service Monitor Microsoft Corp. (Verified) Microsoft Corporation
WmiPrvSE.exe 3,744 K 7,540 K 4460 WMI Provider Host Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
wuauclt.exe 3,256 K 6,432 K 2040 Windows Update Microsoft Corporation (Verified) Microsoft Windows Component Publisher
XAudio64.exe 1,528 K 3,416 K 2284 Modem Audio Service Conexant Systems, Inc. (No signature was present in the subject) Conexant Systems, Inc.
YahooAUService.exe 4,732 K 10,408 K 4092 AutoUpater Service Module Yahoo! Inc. (Verified) Yahoo! Inc.
Interrupts < 0.01 0 K 0 K n/a Hardware Interrupts and DPCs
svchost.exe < 0.01 6,788 K 12,292 K 576 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation Verifying...
WDBtnMgrSvc.exe < 0.01 5,192 K 7,348 K 1716 WD Drive Manager Service WDC (No signature was present in the subject) WDC
OnlineBackup.SchedulerService.exe < 0.01 30,732 K 21,556 K 588 SchedulerService (No signature was present in the subject)
svchost.exe < 0.01 136,148 K 140,524 K 2584 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
sidebar.exe < 0.01 6,468 K 12,192 K 1680 Windows Sidebar Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
csrss.exe < 0.01 2,820 K 7,964 K 3568 Client Server Runtime Process Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
DigiData.FilesystemWatcher.Service.Watcher.exe < 0.01 28,452 K 20,136 K 1884 Filesystem Watcher Service DigiData Corp. (No signature was present in the subject) DigiData Corp.
AppleMobileDeviceService.exe < 0.01 4,440 K 9,804 K 2508 MobileDeviceService Apple Inc. (Verified) Apple Inc.
SearchIndexer.exe < 0.01 126,052 K 124,216 K 2200 Microsoft Windows Search Indexer Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe < 0.01 161,960 K 175,372 K 1708 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
UtilityApplication.exe < 0.01 18,192 K 22,168 K 1808 Software Upgrade Assistant Monitor Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. (Verified) Samsung Electronics CO.
svchost.exe < 0.01 16,660 K 16,440 K 3288 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
lsass.exe < 0.01 4,272 K 3,212 K 3720 Local Security Authority Process Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
explorer.exe < 0.01 75,440 K 85,516 K 3076 Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
csrss.exe < 0.01 19,168 K 17,844 K 3624 Client Server Runtime Process Microsoft Corporation Verifying...
setup.exe < 0.01 278,080 K 32,768 K 12 Google Chrome Google Inc. (Verified) Google Inc
System < 0.01 0 K 17,864 K 4
AmazonCloudDriveW.exe < 0.01 42,628 K 43,968 K 3444 Java™ Platform SE binary Sun Microsystems, Inc. (Verified) Sun Microsystems
AmazonCloudDrive.exe < 0.01 51,792 K 42,908 K 2004 Amazon Cloud Drive Amazon Digital Services, LLC. (Verified) Amazon Services LLC
MsMpEng.exe < 0.01 87,128 K 98,840 K 4060 Antimalware Service Executable Microsoft Corporation (Verified) Microsoft Corporation
Webshots.scr 0.51 4,712 K 12,420 K 3032 Webshots Photo Manager Webshots.com (Verified) American Greetings
svchost.exe 1.01 11,152 K 16,720 K 3680 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
procexp64.exe 2.02 28,844 K 41,436 K 4480 Sysinternals Process Explorer Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com (Verified) Sysinternals
System Idle Process 96.46 0 K 24 K 0

ThanksGeeksForHelping

ThanksGeeksForHelping

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I got a host process services not working or opening I forgot to take a picture. Then some solution alert about hard disk. Oh well, we're starting to make progress. And I suppose we'll make sure everything is running smoothly before we're done. Also when I was doing the drivers before I got some alert about a script. Sadly I didn't take a picture of it. Anyways, my roommate and I thank you a bunch Ron (RKinner). :)

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Process Explorer log does not show anything running that shouldn't and System idle is nice and high so that looks good. I think we need to look at the event logs from a reboot again and see if some services are not starting.

Right click on (My) Computer and select Manage (Continue) Then click on the arrow in front of Event Viewer. Next Click on the arrow in front of Windows Logs Right click on System and Clear Log, Clear. Repeat for Application.

Reboot.

1. Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso
http://images.malwar...om/vino/VEW.exe
and save it to your Desktop:

2. Right-click VEW.exe and Run AS Administrator
3. Under 'Select log to query', select:

* System
4. Under 'Select type to list', select:
* Error
* Warning

Then use the 'Number of events' as follows:

1. Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.

Please post the Output log in your next reply then repeat but select Application.

Ron

ThanksGeeksForHelping

ThanksGeeksForHelping

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Shoot! The computer seems to have done an update last night and rebooted. Or at least rebooted. It was at black screen with arrow for a long time and when it rebooted it couldn't connect to the internet. The two computer icon was missing and I opened chrome and it couldn't get a webpage like google. It had a few alerts telling me that services couldn't work properly. I just restarted the computer and it's taking a long time, I'll keep you updated. :(

Thanks Ron.

ThanksGeeksForHelping

ThanksGeeksForHelping

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Bad News :(

And the computer just blue screened. I'm not sure if the computer did an update last night or blue screened before it rebooted. It's currently rebooting in normal mode. It'll probably take a long time. Before it blue screened it took a good four hours at least to get out of black screen and arrow mode to get to a regular screen. And once it got there it said a few things stopped working and then blue screen. It's a shame because it looked like we were making progress and now it looks like we took a step back. I don't what to do next. In normal mode the computer has no access to Internet. After the computer reboots should I try to go back to safe mode with networking to see if my computer can get internet access? I'm totally lost now. I'm using my tablet to type this out. Help!

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Yes. Go back into Safe Mode with networking and see if that works. May need to try to do a system restore

Advertisements

ThanksGeeksForHelping

ThanksGeeksForHelping

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
My computer, even in safe mode with networking, can't get the internet. And it's so slow even in safe mode. I'm going to try and do the msconfig step you told me about and try booting in regular mode. I'm not sure that will help. Are there any suggestions? Is there any way I can save the files on this computer or is this a lost cause? What are our options? :'(

ThanksGeeksForHelping

ThanksGeeksForHelping

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
So it rebooted with the msconfig disabling all services and it rebooted in normal mode way quicker. Still no internet access & my security programs don't work. I've got to go to work. But thanks Ron. Hopefully we'll figure out how to get this computer back online without having to lose everything.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Now that you know that something in msconfig is keeping it from booting you can go back into msconfig and check about 1/2 of the items you unchecked Apply and reboot. If it still boots then the problem is one of the things you have not yet rechecked. If it hangs again then one of the item you checked is at fault. Run msconfig again and uncheck half of the items you just checked and try it again. Try to isolate the problem down to a single item.

ThanksGeeksForHelping

ThanksGeeksForHelping

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks Ron (RKinner) :) I will do that! I've got an odd irregular work schedule this week (had to so I could get Thanksgiving & this weekend off) so you might not hear from me until maybe Weds night. I'm also going out of town for Thanksgiving so if you don't hear from me Weds. Likely Sunday so please don't close this until we have a resolution okay? And if you're American & if you don't hear from me have an amazingly awesome and sumptuous Thanksgiving from my roommate and me. We're Thankful we've got you helping us. :)

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
I don't keep track so don't worry about any delays. I'm going on a little trip Wednesday getting back Sunday. Not sure I will have Internet access so expect delays on my end too.