Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home Media Sharing Disrupts Connectivity

• Please log in to reply

13o13

13o13

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have run into an interesting issue. let me start with with home network setup.

Cable internet comes from carrier to cable modem via cable (duh!)
from cable modem to DLink DGL4500 router via ethernet

Connected to router is :
Desktop via wireless bridge (will explain in a minute)
xbox via wireless
AV Receiver via ethernet
(I have more but they are not connected at this point in time)

The desktop gets internet through a wireless bridge that connects to the router. The bridge is a Linksys WGA600N Dual Band Gaming Adapter. It is set in the wireless bridge mode and connects to the desktop via ethernet while also connecting to the router via wireless. This setup seems to work perfectly at any other point, but when i go to share media between my desktop and av receiver (read stream music from desktop to av receiver), the internet connection on the desktop drops. The only way i have found to restore it is to power cycle the linksys bridge - never does it require a reboot on the desktop or a powercycle on the router.

I have successfully setup and shared media between the desktop and av receiver - but every time it will start playing a song and drop within the first 30 seconds. So far I havent been able to think of anything that would cause this. I wouldnt think connection is timing out because using normal internet it works just fine. i can stream media from internet on the av receiver with no issue as well as on the desktop with no issue - even both at the same time with no issue - but when going from desktop to receiver, it drops the connection.

Though i thought it to be a bit absurd, I did what another forum called a 30/30/30 reset on the router - hold reset for 30 seconds, unplug router (while still holding reset) and continue to hold for another 30 seconds, then plug back in and continue holding reset for another 30 seconds. this effectively wiped out the settings on the router restoring factory defaults. reset up everything on it. did the same 30/30/30 reset on the bridge and reset it up. got internet working on the desktop, xbox, and receiver. tried streaming again between desktop and receiver - same result, connection drops requiring a powercycle on the bridge.

I read somewhere that a lower MTU setting on the router might help, but then the forum didnt seem very reputable, and the MTU setting it suggested is what mine is set to (default).

Streaming from desktop to receiver isnt all that important, i just dont like having an issue i cant figure out so am trying to find the answer.. Any help would be very much appreciated!

if you have any questions of my setup on either the desktop, receiver, bridge, or router, please let me know.

Advertisements