Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Important and Urgent Questions regarding Build

• Please log in to reply

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W 550 Watts PSU

Getting this at a steal of a price? Is it good?

http://www.flipkart....11-88f32c99c7e7

look at the option in the space below saying MDC selling it through flipkart for 5999 and no the 7159 by flipkart itself.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
That optical drive will be OK. This page is only to see the specs, not to buy from. > http://datamationonl...p></blockquote>\

And other great news is I have marked out most components and many are going on 20-37% sale from marked price, so I"m in luck. Thanks once again for the help. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Your welcome.
Will be very good to reduce the cost. Download the User or installaton manuals for the MB. Case and PSU.
Will you be building hte computer on your own? or will your Dad or Mother give you a hand?
Let us know when you order the parts.
Will have a few tips for you before you start the build.

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hi,

I will be the one building a computer. My parents never got to be part of a generation immersed in computers, here in India things picked up late and of course they'e always had to work hard for my sake.

I'll take the drive, RAM, GPU, opical drive, HDD this month; especially coz all of them are going at great discounts. Oh yeah the PSU too, that i shall get to buy on a heavy discount deal. I shall be talking with dad about he build in an hour or so when he returns.
I have got exams coming up in between, and I think I should herefore take the time to wait for a discount on the processor and MB, also the case, or in any case they come in post Nov. 19th, so perhaps given a few delivery delays or hiccups,I should be contacting here again, get those tips from you and then post pictures of my build. Efforts resulting in fruition. Cheers! :thumbsup:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday ArionIVb, Posted Image
If you have any more questions, just post.

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hi,

Good news here, Dad okayed the build and the bill..lol. It seems the #2 Phillips screwdriver's a bit hard to get here, and i end up paying enough for 20 when ordering from abroad. Could you tell me from this link, if I'm looking at a set that contains the screwdriver needed?

http://www.flipkart....er_office_set_2

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hi,

Good news here, Dad okayed the build and the bill..lol. It seems the #2 Phillips screwdriver's a bit hard to get here, and i end up paying enough for 20 when ordering from abroad. Could you tell me from this link, if I'm looking at a set that contains the screwdriver needed?

http://www.flipkart....er_office_set_2

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Good news galore!!

Most parts coming in by 1st Nov. bfore the festival of Diwali here. Next I think I shall have to wait for CPU, MB and case until after exams.
Fingers crossed, the build's going to turn out awesome( at least upto my imagination).

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

Could you tell me from this link, if I'm looking at a set that contains the screwdriver needed?

Yes, but don't buy a set, You should be able to find one like this from a DIY shot, tool shop, home improvement centre or even ask your Dad if one of his friends can lend one. > http://www.walmart.c...s-No-2/21188694

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hi,

How about this link, contains a good number, and so many sets under 100 rupees or a wee bit over, are these the ones needed? Don't think I can borrow and also I guess I should keep one of my own.

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Ok this might be more specific but all the more confusing:

http://www.ebay.in/s...82256&_from=R40

Advertisements

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Sorry about my impulsiveness but I guess I found it:

http://www.ebay.in/i...308fbbf7&_uhb=1

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hi

Now that my exams are done I'm ready to finish the build.I have got these by now:

Optical Drive
Case
PSU
RAM (they sent the wrong model, so its in the return process)
Graphics Card
HDD

I need further advice on motherboards. The MSI I mentioned may not be available. Also I have been looking around again and ASUS, Gigabyte and to an extent ASRock have me confused too.

ASUS Maximus V Gene (I know, you will call it a great overkill)
Then but as I go down to 8Z77 series of ASUS motherboards, I get confued as to what to buy. Oh yeah one thing that makes me want to lay off MAximus, is that its mATX. I hear most people say a full ATX is good in the long run.

Gigabyte I dunno I can't seem to choose even ones to shortlist.
ASRock, price is tempting, but those reports of 6 months and its dead are a real scare.

Ok best is I put in the things I would like on the motherboard:

32 GB DDR3 support

at least 4 and 4 USB 2 and 3

eSATA - maybe one's enough right?, I heard its for external HDDs, and Dad could use one of those, carry around data from office to home.

Then there's those range of personalised special features all manufacturer's claim they got, how to pick...i mean syncing CPU,GPU,RAM,etc and Temp control and the likes. Its not hard to understand but hen its that new economic principle, too much being thrown at you can cause you not to make a choice at all.

Multi-GPU support - I'm not sure I may like to put in a few games, sometime. At times cousins or or other kids come over, they too would like it.Of course I add the second graphics card a few months later into 2014.

Sorry again with my limited knowledge of the stuff I would say all other features such that its future-proof.the word sounded good in a review I read somewhere.

Then there's the monitor:

How about this one

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday ArionIVb, Got you PM.

We must make sure about the models of the parts you have purchased before answering your questions. You may have changed parts from those already decided on.
The RAM you are waiting to receive may may not be compatible with a different MB. This is your list, but, you have not included the CPU. Please give the brand/model for all parts.

Optical Drive
Case
PSU
RAM (they sent the wrong model, so its in the return process)
Graphics Card
HDD
(CPU??)

How much is left in your budget for the monitor?

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Sorry,

I should have mentioned the parts. Here they're:

The ones already in my hands:

Corsair 550W Gold Silent Pro PSU
Corsair Vengeance 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 RAM
Seagate Barracuda 500 GB HDD
LG Modisc 22x Optical Drive
GeForce GT640 GPU
NZXT Phantom 410 Mid Tower Case

The old 250 GB HDD from my current system is an ATA, good for a RAID setup?

Things not bought yet:

MoBo
CPU: i5-3470 should get it by this week or together with MoBo

I'll be using my old JBL Platinum Series Speakers.
got a 600VA UPS(using it currently)

Now about the monitor. I mentioned the AOC model, so that turns out to to be between 100-110 dollars,looking for close to 1920 x 1200 resolution as the max at the least. Ok also the VGA,DVi, HDMi ports too matter. I don't want to kick myself later if future needs crop up. This one seems a good buy, almost half my budget: but its hard to find out the specs i want to know:

Philips 166V3LSB 15.6 Inch LCD TFT

Possible MoBos that have me confused:

ASRock Extreme6
Gigabyte D3H
ASUS Maximus V Gene(You can consider this to be my budget limit for MoBos, but fact is the 8Z77 series from ASUS, I can't figure out which one's the best)
Then are Intel motherboards good competition to them? I want a sort of a decent gaming cum of course MATLAB and home use PC.

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Oh yeah, ok sounds funny mentioning, but well i got hold of the magnetic tip screwdrivers, 8 in 1 and with an LED torch to go. I almost want o to open up my current system sometime, perhaps get some ideas there.