Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8 help from Ztruker

• Please log in to reply

Wayneo13

Wayneo13

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I get a prompt that stops just about everything I try to run. This is the prompt "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?" test is a title and below it asks for a password that I have no ides what it is. I got some help from Mr. Charlie. Here is what has been done so far https://forums.malwa...howtopic=138107 most of it failed because of the prompt.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Looks like you have Norton 360 installed. Please try disabling it or better yet, uninstall using the Norton Removal Tool.

Test and see if any change. If okay then install Microsoft Security Essentials in place of Norton.

Wayneo13

Wayneo13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
When I try to run Norton Removal Tool I get the prompt "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?" test is a title and below it asks for a password that I have no ides what it is again.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try doing a Clean boot. Note the current settings: How to perform a clean boot in Windows
Now run the Norton Removal Tool.
Go back into msconfig and restore the settings to what they were.

Test.
If okay install MSE.
If not reinstall Norton.

Wayneo13

Wayneo13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
When I go to msconfig I get the same prompt "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?" test is a title and below it asks for a password that I have no ides what it is again. and can't do anything past this.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
This is one time that being able to boot to Safe Mode would really help. Unfortunately Microsoft removed the F8 press to get to Safe Mode.

See if this works:

Windows key + C.
Settings
Power
Hold shift key and click RESTART.
Click on Advanced Options then Startup Settings.
Click Restart and you have almost the full advanced Boot Options menu like XP, Vista or Win 7.

If yes, while in Safe Mode, run msconfig. Click on Tools tab then Change UAC settings.
Move the slider all the way to the bootom.
Save, exit and reboot. See if that helps.

Wayneo13

Wayneo13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you for you time and effort. I couldn't get anything to work so now I am trying to do a clean install of Windows 7. Thanks Again!